How to exchange devices...

bjoerka

I have to exchange a network switch to another model with more sockets .-)

But my block schematic is nearly finished and all sockets on my 24-port switch are connected to their destinations.

What is the best workaround to replace the switch in my drawing with another that will have 48-ports without re-connecting all existing connections?

I tried to place a new one and drag it to the existing connections but that does not connect the wires...

Any help is much appreciated .-)

I don't believe this is currently possible. A 'replace device' routine would be difficult to engineer, as it would have to analyse and decide which socket on the old device maps to which socket on the new device. If it got it wrong (or even just chose something other than the user's intention) it could take a lot more work to fix it than it would to just do it manually.

If all of your library devices are precisely labelled with consistent socket names (i.e. always LAN 1-2-3 and never Port 1, 1, 01,  etc), then maybe a replace device routine could match socket names, but I'm not sure it would bring back the right result often enough to be worth it.

If it were me, editing the device to add the extra sockets and changing the model number is so easy that I'd just do that. If your 13-24 needs to be renumbered to start from 25 because you want 24 ports on each side, then I'd use Spotlight Numbering to rename those 12 sockets quickly.

• Like 1