VCS cloud presentations: how to view/link vgx models?

I've been always keen on VCS cloud presentations, quite a powerful tool for VR and immersive panoramas.

Nevertheless since the Unity engine was introduced, some workflows  seem to be broken:

• Pinning vgx models in presentation only works while browsing from desktop devices. From mobile (both Chrome and Safari) a message is displayed (something like "due to technical reasons model can be only seen via Nomad app") but than the "Nomad" button fails to trigger the Nomad app to open (and so the related model). Is that correct?
  • It seems there is no way to insert any kind of direct link from cloud presentation to a cloud stored vgx model, triggering nomad to open the model. Not sure if I am missing something there.
  • Sample presentation still uses the old graphic engine (pre-Unity): it would be helpful to see an updated workflow there.

Last but not least - this has maybe more to do with the wishlist forum - it would be very helpful to have some graphic control to better position the pins: either with x,y,z position inputs or providing smart guides, adding the capability to easily align pin items in different boards

Edited by StefanoT

Hi Stefano. I am writing to you to share my experience and follow a possible development. I wanted to squeeze this tool to use it actively on an ongoing project, setting the xyz coordinates, as you say. It is not possible to do this and I think it will not be possible for some time. I have tried other systems even outside of VCS and I have to confirm that it is a world where there are those who can do it with millimeter precision, but they are extremely expensive services.

From here I realized that VCS in AR must be used to show a kitchen furniture, a set of desks in a studio. Or a whole project but in VR. My heavy model can't handle it and I never have time to find the right balance. As for the navigation in Unity, however, I have to tell you that I found myself quite well on the desktop, but on mobile I don't remember negative experiences. But maybe I have to check if the same system is active. In short, I remember a positive general experience.

In my opinion a very nice thing would be to be able to insert the sheet layers in comparison with the sectioned model with section volume. They have done great work lately but it must be admitted that from a professional point of view we are far from other BimX cone applications. Hoping for a precise xyz alignment to be able to for example see the plants on the ground on an existing structure is too much. But looking for the way to be able to integrate 2D views with 3D views might be the right direction to implement project understanding and division.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @StefanoT,

Thank you for your post!

On 10/11/2023 at 2:53 AM, StefanoT said:

Pinning vgx models in presentation only works while browsing from desktop devices. From mobile (both Chrome and Safari) a message is displayed (something like "due to technical reasons model can be only seen via Nomad app") but than the "Nomad" button fails to trigger the Nomad app to open (and so the related model). Is that correct?

That is correct, the vgx model viewer is not working well on mobile browsers due to technical limitations, so we implemented this page to forward users to viewing the models in Nomad. I think we have missed this case (forwarding to Nomad within a presentation slide). I opened a bug to our team to see if this can be fixed. Unfortunately, Nomad is not able to view whole presentations at this time, but this is on our list for future considerations. 

It seems there is no way to insert any kind of direct link from cloud presentation to a cloud stored vgx model, triggering nomad to open the model. Not sure if I am missing something there.

You are correct. This is not possible at this time, but I hope the first bullet is a bug that can be fixed.

Sample presentation still uses the old graphic engine (pre-Unity): it would be helpful to see an updated workflow there.

I added this to our list of future improvements. 

- it would be very helpful to have some graphic control to better position the pins: either with x,y,z position inputs or providing smart guides, adding the capability to easily align pin items in different boards

I added this to our list of future improvements as well. 

• Like 1

@zeno,

Switching between 2D/3D views seamlessly or displaying both, in a BIMx fashion is on our list of improvements. We are currently working on supporting class visibility in the 3D viewer, which is the foundation for being able to support saved views. Saved views may be able to give you what you are looking for. 

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova

• Like 1
4 hours ago, inikolova said:

@zeno,

Switching between 2D/3D views seamlessly or displaying both, in a BIMx fashion is on our list of improvements. We are currently working on supporting class visibility in the 3D viewer, which is the foundation for being able to support saved views. Saved views may be able to give you what you are looking for. 

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova

Can I see a 2D draw on saved view=ì? Thanks for your Answers

Hi @zeno,

Yes, we want to support 2D geometry as well, however the specifics of the implementation are not yet clear, so I cannot promise anything at this point. 

We are currently working on a cloud drawing viewer that is specifically for geometry avalable on sheet layers. It is planned to support viewing BIM data upon object selection as well. Even though a separate team is working on this new viewer, it may affect how things work out for the planar geometry in the 3D viewer. Again, it is too early to be able to say how anything will be for sure, but we are definitely working in this direction.

Best regards,

Iskra Nikolova 

• Like 1

@StefanoT

Pinning vgx models in presentation only works while browsing from desktop devices. From mobile (both Chrome and Safari) a message is displayed (something like "due to technical reasons model can be only seen via Nomad app") but than the "Nomad" button fails to trigger the Nomad app to open (and so the related model). Is that correct?

Unfortunately, I just heard back from our engineers that this won't be a quick bug fix. I am sorry. We would have to find a way to allow Nomad to open 3D models attached to presentations, or whole presentations in general.

4 hours ago, inikolova said:

Unfortunately, I just heard back from our engineers that this won't be a quick bug fix. I am sorry. We would have to find a way to allow Nomad to open 3D models attached to presentations, or whole presentations in general.

@inikolova thank you for the prompt feedback, hopefully future VCS and/or Nomad major releases could solve this. Unity engine + Nomad handle models much better than before, and using them together with VCS presentations would be a pro.

Edited by StefanoT
  • Like 1