Spotlight fixtures loose rotation after ataching them to a circular truss with Manage Loads Tool

mkue

Here is another one which bother me since quite a time:

Say i distribute fixtures with the duplicate along path tool along a circle. I then add a circular truss. When i attach the fixtures with the Manage Loads tool, the fixtures Z-rotation is set to zero. Pls see screenshots attached, before and after Manage Loads.

What iam doing wrong here? Is this a bug or a feature? Has anybody else experienced this before?

Thanks in advance,

Michael

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-30 um 18.20.44.png

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-30 um 18.19.49.png

Edited by mkue
added info
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello,

You should create the rigging first like in real life then add the fixtures. Also, I would recommend the Circular Array command rather than using the Duplicate along Path command as there is no need to add temporary extra geometry (the circle) nor any need for the extra work having to use the Manage Loads tool.

I am using the default Pick Radius in the Loads and Rigging section of the Spotlight prefs.

Screenshot 2023-12-28 at 11.26.13 am.png

In the enclosed movie I wanted 14 instruments on the truss hence why there are 13 in the array as there's already one in the drawing.

Cheers,

Peter

PS In future with questions like this you'd be better off posting them in the Entertainment forum.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello Peter,

thank you very much for your answer and the alternative workflow. 

As it turned out, the problem of fixtures rotated to 0° does not only occur with "Manage Loads" but also when rotating the fixtures, for example if you rotate all fixtures by 180° about the X-axis, the other two axes are set to 0.

Please see this thread FYI:

This problem has now finally been fixed in the latest update 3 for Vectorworks 2024!

Cheers,

Michael

• Like 1