Radial dimension tool not working

oliver.williams

Question

Hello,

I'm in VW23 Windows. I am annotating a viewport on a sheet layer. With the radial dimension tool and clicking on a circle it throws up the error 'diametral dimensions can only be on circles' meaning i cannot seem to dimension the circle. My coworkers works fine on his computer so i dont know whats going wrong. If i draw a circle on the sheet layer and dimension it the tool works. but something about the tool reading a viewport of a 3D model isnt recognising i am trying to select a circle. 

any help would be great

image.png.d5fe099eb4a4318f2983e9b629cb37fc.png

4 answers to this question

On 9/27/2023 at 5:47 PM, Pat Stanford said:

Is what is being shown in the viewport a circle? Or an extruded cylinder.  If a cylinder, then the fully 2D Diametrical Dimension tool won't recognize it.

it is an extruded cylinder so thats whay its not working. However if my coweorker does the same thing on his computer it DOES recognize the extruded cylinder as a circle, how strange?? Is there a way i can dimension a viewport of an extruded cylinder without having to re-draw a cirlce in the annotation and dimensioning that. 

It appears to work in the Annotation group of a viewport in Top/Plan.  In Top I can get it to do a Diametral Dimension on an Circular Extrusion, but not on a Layer Plane Circle.

I can not get it to work on either the extrusion or the circle in an isometric view. I can not get it to work on either the extrusion or the circle if I am not in the Annotations Group of the viewport.

I have not tested what happens if your have a circle of extrusion that are on the view plane of the viewport (for example a Circle on the front of an object in Front view.

HTH.  🤷‍♂️

On 9/30/2023 at 2:28 AM, Pat Stanford said:

It appears to work in the Annotation group of a viewport in Top/Plan.  In Top I can get it to do a Diametral Dimension on an Circular Extrusion, but not on a Layer Plane Circle.

I can not get it to work on either the extrusion or the circle in an isometric view. I can not get it to work on either the extrusion or the circle if I am not in the Annotations Group of the viewport.

I have not tested what happens if your have a circle of extrusion that are on the view plane of the viewport (for example a Circle on the front of an object in Front view.

HTH.  🤷‍♂️

Hi Pat, my colleague is on the same version as me both on windows and he is able to radial dimension tool, and angular dimension tool. however when i am on these tools i cannot select any lines to dimension when i am in annotations viewport. Is it anything to do with snapping options in the bottom right? image.png.f8ae056007acf6e49408488ff80cb64e.png