Editing a symbol

Camila85

Question

Hi, 

I've imported a CAD block of a bannister spindle which came in the wrong size. I've resized it to roughly the length I need it to be but I need to trim the ends to make it fit into the bannister itself. I've entered the symbol to try and edit the original but once i'm "inside" the symbol the resized object isn't editable and there is a second tiny spindle which is editable (like the original imported one) but I can't see where it would need trimming as it's too small. Sorry new to VW and apologies for the numerous troubleshooting issues I have! I have looked online on on the online uni course but it doesn't have the answer.. some screenshots below that I hope illustrates what I'm talking about a bit better. In autocad I would have exploded the symbol and edited it but I can't seem to do that here

Screenshot2023-09-20at13_02_49.jpg.bdaa2d02a446fb074f7be1d43347dd2b.jpg

Screenshot2023-09-20at13_05_27.jpg.724417d225e252089021d0c9efb9b98c.jpg

Screenshot2023-09-20at13_02_49.jpg.eca484cd3da9cc2971bc3c76d675fcc6.jpg

8 answers to this question

When you resize an instance of a symbol it should be considered as a one-off alteration. If you go to edit the symbol, then you will be editing all instances of the symbol definition in the same way that AutoCAD does.

When you go to the edit Symbol Window, you will be seeing the original unscaled geometry, hence the size difference. 

If you want to edit the geometry of a symbol as a one-off, then it is probably best to Convert it to a Group which you can do using the Convert to Group command then the scaled geometry will be disconnected from the Symbol geometry and you can do what you like with it.