References not broken but won't show in viewports anymore.

K.E

Question

I have two references in a file, one for some elevations, one for a floor plan. Never had a problem.

This has all been working fine for the past month. I superseded a model and by supersede I mean I copied and pasted my model to a superseded folder on my PC and carried on working on the original model. All was working absolutely fine for a week.

I opened the file today and the viewports I have are no longer showing the information in the references. The references are still here, they are not broken, the source location has not been changed whatsoever. One of the the references is still visible on the layer its in, but it just won't show up on the viewport. The other reference is again still on the file, not broken, but it's not showing anything. I haven't changed the source models at all.

I opened the SS model, i.e. just a copy of my main work model that has a few less changes, and the references do still work on here. I've tried turning on all classes layer etc, tried reloading the reference, tried moving the source location of the reference on my pc and updating, all the usual stuff, but I cannot for the life of me get anything to reappear in the viewports.

Anyone have any ideas? It will take me a lot of time and increase model size to import the information from the source models.

2 answers to this question

I'm having the same issue as above! If it means anything, I'm using Vectorworks Landmark 2024.

I have two reference viewports in my design file. One is showing the data and the other is not. It's showing as a small blank square which gets smaller when I try to edit said viewport. Reference files have not moved and all the links are intact. I suppose I could delete the viewport and bring in a new one, but this is very impractical if I have to do that every time I open the design file.

Any help from the community would be greatly appreciated!

Make sure the design layer for the reference is turned on.  If you can click on the reference, make sure all of its classes and design layers are on using the button in the OiP.  Finally, make sure the sheet viewports have the correct layer and class states for displaying the reference.  Those are typical solutions.

It’s hard to advise on this further without seeing the files as there could be many things causing problems.