ConnectCAD Custom Panel connectors not updating with linked socket

Andy Bentley

Question

Hello! Working with the new Custom Panel workflow in VW 2024, I'm not sure if I've found a bug or if this is intended behavior.

According to the documentation, once I've built a Custom Panel Layout and created a Schematic device from that layout, the associated sockets should update with the linked connectors on the panel.

Edit the sockets to specify their socket types and connector types on the cable (see Editing sockets), and to rename the sockets in the panel layout. Once associated, edits to the device in the schematic layer are automatically reflected in the panel layout."

However, when I change the name of a socket on the corresponding schematic device, it does not change on the connector panel.

I discovered it in a current project ported from VW2023, however, tried it in a brand new file as well and got the same result.

Let me know what you think. Thank you!

2 answers to this question

I believe this is currently intended behaviour - the 'Update from Schematic' button in the OIP will only update the 'Connected Device' and 'Connected Socket' fields of each panel connector, and not the name.

This caught me as well - updating the name would be my primary concern. I believe this might because of how it might affect the use of 'off the shelf' panels populated with all of the same type of connector (like a 1U 24-way audio jackfield), where renaming a 'A03' to 'A05' on the schematic wouldn't mean that schematic panel device is now linked to the 5th connector on that panel, but rather than you've renamed the 3rd connector to 'A05', such that it now reads A01 A02 A05 A04 A05.

I think this is two different worlds of panel design colliding a little - those who are trying to assign a schematic panel device to a different slot on a pre-made panel, and those of us who spend the majority of our time on custom fabricated work, where we genuinely do want to push the name of our new schematic panel device to the same panel connector that we've placed where we wanted it.

It's definitely cumbersome having to go inside the panel layout and re-link each panel connector to a newly-named schematic socket. I would like the functionality that if the new 'Device Type' field is Custom Panel, then changing names on the schematic will push the name to the Panel Connector in the Panel Layout along with the Connected Device and Connected Socket. If it isn't a Custom Panel then it should work how it is now.

Asking @Conrad Preen  for your thoughts please.

Edited by spettitt
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@spettitt

On 9/16/2023 at 10:07 PM, spettitt said:

I think this is two different worlds of panel design colliding a little - those who are trying to assign a schematic panel device to a different slot on a pre-made panel, and those of us who spend the majority of our time on custom fabricated work, where we genuinely do want to push the name of our new schematic panel device to the same panel connector that we've placed where we wanted it.

Exactly Simon !!!

I will think about this maybe we can do something.