2023 placing images on vertical walls

greatdaytoday

In the Rendering in Vectorworks - Decal Textures video about decals at https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2022/eng/VW2022_Guide/Textures/Creating_decal_textures.htm#h

The presenter opens the save drop down from the menu.  Below the Save View and Edit View options it has five options. The fifth option is decal.

In my 2023 version of Vectorworks. There is a save drop down but it only shows the Save View and Edit View options, Below that there is a long black block with no writing. Just a black void. Is something wrong with the software or my 2023 Macbook Pro?

Why can't we cut and paste screenshots in this forum? It would be a lot easier and more visually descriptive! It won't even let me insert image from URL: https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2022/eng/VW2022_Guide/Textures/Decal_ex.png an image of a blue recycling container.

Why aren't there more up to date instructions on how to place images? 2010 was quite a while ago.

The Saved View that the presenter selected was a Saved View specific to his file, unless you are using the same file (it may have been supplied as part of a tutorial), you won't see the same options.  You're likely seeing a void there because your drawing doesn't currently contain any Saved Views.  What that Saved View did for the presenter was position the view to look at the surface he was using for the example, there's nothing the Saved View did required to set the decal texture.

The video is out of date since they revamped textures in VW2022, but the process is largely the same as shown in the video.  The one exception is that they removed the Add Decal button from the Render tab of the Object Info Palette and moved it to a right-click context menu.  Select the component in the OIP you want to add a decal to and right-click it.  Then select Add Decal from the right-click menu.  The process should match the video from that point forward other than you can now build a face override using the Texture Tool rather than using Extract Face to build a new object.

image.png.e42ba59ec95616753afee1e008e5d6bf.png

image.thumb.png.4fa988d465764baa2acf9c4f76d18912.png

And you can totally paste screenshots into the forum.  Just get the screenshot onto you clipboard by whatever means you want (I'm on Windows so I use Windows Key+Shift+S and drag a box), then paste it using Ctrl+V / Command+V into your post.

• Like 1

Thanks Jesse. All I get under the Render tab is:

Texture          ^

Overall

\ None

I'm trying to use the texture tool to put texture onto this object without success. Why is texture not appearing when I click the object?

Is it correct that my object needs to be textured before I can place a decal? Why can't I texture this object?

image.thumb.png.375334524698157e1c0455fb229d75f4.png

The screenshot for some reason showed this is in the Replace Matching Texture Mode when it was actually in Apply to Face Mode.

The Texture drop-down menu currently lists By Class.  This means that it is trying to pull the Class Texture (set by opening the Organization window, editing the class, and specifying a texture within the Texture tab).  Right now, the class your Extrude is in has no texture assigned, hence None being listed.  Click on the drop-down and select Texture, this should add a texture picker to allow you to select a texture.  See my screenshot above for an example.

As for the decal, you must have a texture applied before you can add a Decal.

Thanks Jesse. On the Decal Textures video about decals at https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2022/eng/VW2022_Guide/Textures/Creating_decal_textures.htm#h it says to proceed to step 8. There are only 7 steps shown. Where is the step 8?

image.thumb.png.95a9878e857c6d2e6e57f68e6ef6a9f7.png

In step 7. When I click OK where is the decal texture created? I don't see the decal? What do I do to apply it to the selected surface? When I click the surface nothing happens. What does it mean: Decal textures are nested on the Texture browser under the object or face to which they are applied.

Where is the Texture browser?

image.thumb.png.9eb9ccda4cf750848eb257e949dbca91.png

image.png

In your top screenshot, you'll see a "carrot" next to the texture "Asphalt Small RT".  Click on the carrot to expand the texture part, which should reveal the decal.  Something to consider is that decals can be very difficult to control when applied to the "Overall" texture part, so I recommend creating a Texture Override using the Texture Tool.  Select the texture of the overall object (Asphalt Small RT in your example) and click on the face you want the decal to land on.  This will add a "Face Override" in the texture tree in the Object Info Palette.  Then select the Decal in the texture tree and use the Attribute Mapping Tool to position the decal.

Texture Tool:

image.png.cc62a3bc4af8f25f1a89871a8f1bd948.png

Attribute Mapping Tool:

image.png.d737a6c8a2404213e9cac94098ca056d.png

Something to note, and it's the reason I very rarely use Decal textures, is that the Decal will not appear unless you are using a Renderworks or a Redshift render mode.  So if you're sticking to Shaded, Decals might not be the best approach.  What I would typically do instead is to create a 3D polygon with the size of the decal and apply the texture to that.  You don't have to deal with attribute mapping and it is then visible in any rendering mode.  The important thing to note about this is that the 3D poly needs to be moved slightly away from the surface (I usually do 0.01") so that the textures don't conflict.

3D Polygon Example:

image.thumb.png.6907b3a4813ef4c0e9682a9ef13db794.png

Wireframe View showing 0.01" Separation:

image.thumb.png.b2cc26285ebff684ee29745d7dc35695.png

• Like 3

@greatdaytoday - 

The DECAL option is one of those oddly named items in VectorWorks - Not so good at Decals (... there are some interesting things it will do.) 

BasketBall.png.384af08a9173b847f1d0eeb1a3a1ce69.png

Try creating a PNG with an ALPHA Channel, where the transparent masked area is around the desired image.

Import this PNG image as a 2D LAYER PLANE item (Basketball) and maneuver so it is just setting above / almost on the desired surface location (Checkered Cube)

ie: what @Jesse Cogswell comments on above - avoids the dreaded Texture Conflicts 

Make sure to check the Import ALPHA Channel box

See attached

ALPHA Channel check box.pdf

Peter

• Like 1