Circuit Number/Connector Position & Size Issue

david091

Hello all, 

I hope someone has experienced this and can point me in the right direction. 

I have stumbled across an issue where, on previously connected devices, the text size and position of the circuit information will change if updated.   

I have a schematic that I've completed with the default text size and position (Figure 1). (I am specifically referring to the circuit number and connector type text. )

image.png.3daa3d8afdce7b91983be456af25710f.png

However, now, if I delete a circuit and re-connect it (using the connect tool), the text size and position change. (figure 2) (figure 3 - zoomed in) 

image.png.a79ebc8358536f30978b37fa81caf7d8.png

image.png.0bbd5ca183c8a4cb40310ad831789100.png

My first thought was there was an issue with the default text style, so I created a text style for both the circuit number and connector then added this to the class style. This resolves the text style issue, but the placement of the text remains altered. (figure 4)

image.png.0822860880f62f673ab93ab565621808.png

My next thought was to find the resource symbol and verify the text position relative to the origin or delete/replace the symbol from a "clean" file. Unfortunately, I cannot find where this symbol lives (or if it exists)( figure5) 

image.png.3894709e260ff4a34be7996e1fbf3692.png

Despite my efforts, I was not able to replicate the issue, and if I copy and paste the entire schematic into a new file, the issue resolves itself. 

Even deleting and replacing the entire zNested Symbol, System Symbol, and records folders did not make a difference. 

Hopefully, I'm overlooking something obvious, but any assistance would be appreciated!

Have you messed with the grid settings at all? Particularly the snap grid size? These auto-generated labels are partially linked to the size of the snap grid.

Like you, I've recently set the two classes that controls the Connector and Number to have a Class Text Style, which fixes the size of the text independent of the snap grid size (even though I still recommend to my users to use the standard 4 snap/16 reference grid setting).

As for the spacing, if you have a look at ConnectCAD Settings / general, you'll see that the offset of these labels is based on a multiplier of the snap grid size. Therefore, if you do decide to, say, double or halve the snap grid, you would need to make the inverse adjustment to these offset values. IMO it would be nicer if there were an option to set the offset by a fixed page millimetre value or by a multiple of the snap grid.

Edited by spettitt
  • Like 1
On 9/4/2023 at 10:18 PM, spettitt said:

Have you messed with the grid settings at all? Particularly the snap grid size? These auto-generated labels are partially linked to the size of the snap grid.

Like you, I've recently set the two classes that controls the Connector and Number to have a Class Text Style, which fixes the size of the text independent of the snap grid size (even though I still recommend to my users to use the standard 4 snap/16 reference grid setting).

As for the spacing, if you have a look at ConnectCAD Settings / general, you'll see that the offset of these labels is based on a multiplier of the snap grid size. Therefore, if you do decide to, say, double or halve the snap grid, you would need to make the inverse adjustment to these offset values. IMO it would be nicer if there were an option to set the offset by a fixed page millimetre value or by a multiple of the snap grid.

Magic! I honestly would not have considered the snap for this setting. I agreed a fixed value would be a bit easier to adjust, especially if it referenced a symbol similar to the device name labels. 
Thanks for the help, It's much appreciated!

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hey everyone. For us this is a case of being between a rock and a hard place. I gave in to a request to be able to draw schematics at any scale, not just 1:1. This came from the world of event planning where there want a quick and dirty way to draw a schematic on top of the floor plan and read the cable lengths off the perimeter of the circuits.

That has a knock-on effect that we have to get the scaling of our objects from somewhere - and that somewhere is the snap grid.

As Simon says once you know, you know - but it's good to know the reason also.

Conrad

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...