Hanging position does not add "Hanging postition name" to the truss object

jgulbrandsen

Question

Hi,

If i make a hanging position out of some truss pieces. If i add a lighting device to this hanging position the lighting device automaically enter the field "Position" with "LX 1", and if i change name for LX1 at hanging position tha lighting device also changes postion name. 

If i double click into a hanging position this is build up with "truss" objects. Truss object has a field named "Position Name". By default this field is empty and does not follow "Hanging positon name. I want the hanging position name to automatically fill inn to the truss objects field "Position Name". Reason: 

I want to make a report of all truss-pieces sorted by "hanging position". Is there a way to make this worksheet with parameters already existing or is there a way to link Truss - Position Name with Haning Position - Name ? 

I have attached a file for visual explaining. LX 1 - 5 is just named at the hanging position and this 5 trusses show up as one line in the worksheet. I want the worksheet to look that every haning position has its own line in the worksheet. For "LX 11" hanging position i have manually entered (double clicked) haning position and given the truss piece name "LX 11" into the truss's field. Is there a way to automate this, so i can change names and add pieces to the hanging position without maually writing names..  Hope this makes sense. 

Hanging Position.vwx

7 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I wonder if the Data Manager could be used to auto populate this data.

This is tricky as the hanging position is like a sort of container with the truss objects inside, I am not sure that the truss objects ‘know’ that they are part of this position.

I will see if my colleagues have any suggestions.

Presumably you want to be able to breakdown how many truss items of a particular length and make/model are used to create each position.

Hello, I have been out of office, just catching up.

I think this is an enhancement request.

I considered being able to set up a data map in the data manager to auto populate the position name from the HP field to the Truss object.

Knowing that you probably wanted to break down which truss lengths you can utilise the location field of the Equip Universal Record and break down truss record by location in the inventory dialogue.

Either way this is currently a manual process, I will make a feature request to map this data from the HP position name.

Hey @TomWhiteLight

I was about to write a lengthy question, then I saw this post. I think this explains the issue I'm having. Let me describe my application, maybe there is another option:

Working on a event where we're doing multiple truss "systems". 15 in total, of about 4 different designs. 

I designed up system 1, converted to a hanging position and had that tool create a symbol for me. Duplicated and moved the hanging position as needed, and gave it a unique name. Same for the other systems. I went the symbol route because I'm able to edit multiple objects as the design changes. 

I need to pull a report. I want to list out count, truss length, vendor, color and {most importantly} what system it is a part of. 

But...

I can't use class, because that will list the class the truss is in.

I can't seem to find an option to list what symbol or hanging position it is in. 

I also can't seem to "go the other way" and list what items that are in a symbol/hanging position. (side note....this feature would be super handy to list everything associated with a hanging position...cables, lights, truss, hardware, etc.)

The only thing I can make work is by assigning everything to its own layer. Possible, but that's gonna require quite a bit of re-work at this phase. 

Thoughts?

criteria should be 'object type truss' and check inside plug in objects and inside symbols.

as for the system name we still have the same issue @jgulbrandsen mentions above.

If you used geometry instead of symbol you could assign a different system name to each truss inside each hanging position.

This workflow may be easier without using hanging positions and using either truss system or position name on the truss objects.

We are continuing to develop this workflow as a priority.