Sinusoidal corrugated cladding in 2D - best tool?

gjw1980

Question

Hi there. We specify sinusoidal profile cladding fairly often. Is there a tool to create this in 2d to avoid having to draw it manually? I know there's a 'sine wave' line type but that doesn't give me enough control of the profile and it's hard to select etc. There's a corrugated option in the 'linear material' tool but it only seems to display trapezoidal profile corrugate. Ideally we'd also be able to build the cladding it into a wall style but I'm assuming for now I'll just have to 'bolt it on' to the outside of the style.

Edited by gjw1980

6 answers to this question

45 minutes ago, Tom W. said:

Have you tried creating your own Tile File? Then you can assign it to a Material + assign the Material to a Wall component + everything will be automatic.

Quick example:

Screenshot2023-08-07at12_19_30.thumb.png.7aec131143beec2f3c72f804aa9991e9.png

Thank you for the response. Actually that did cross my mind - I'll look into this as I don't know much about it. Can I control the pitch of the wave exactly with this method? And would I be able to control how the waves meet at the corners?

3 minutes ago, gjw1980 said:

Can I control the pitch of the wave exactly with this method?

Yes absolutely, because you are drawing the exact geometry you want within the Tile definition.

4 minutes ago, gjw1980 said:

And would I be able to control how the waves meet at the corners?

Unfortunately not. This is definitely a drawback. Some times more than others - I actually thought in the example above it was passable... whereas this one (the battens) less so:

Screenshot2023-08-07at13_17_22.thumb.png.16777ba8f063afb8172d2077e2c3fecf.png

You could perhaps do something with a symbol + the Repetitive Unit Tool, inserting a separate Group symbol that you can edit at the corners + other junctions if you want that level of detail/accuracy.

You'd have the same issue with a Custom Line Type.

2 hours ago, Tom W. said:

Yes absolutely, because you are drawing the exact geometry you want within the Tile definition.

Unfortunately not. This is definitely a drawback. Some times more than others - I actually thought in the example above it was passable... whereas this one (the battens) less so:

Screenshot2023-08-07at13_17_22.thumb.png.16777ba8f063afb8172d2077e2c3fecf.png

You could perhaps do something with a symbol + the Repetitive Unit Tool, inserting a separate Group symbol that you can edit at the corners + other junctions if you want that level of detail/accuracy.

You'd have the same issue with a Custom Line Type.

This seems to work pretty well, thanks a lot!

Just now, gjw1980 said:

Although is there any way I can remove the line on the outside of the sinusoidal cladding? That component doesn't have a line and the thickness is also set to zero. Screenshot and .vwx file attached

Screenshot 2023-08-07 at 16.22.35.png

Wall and cladding.vwx 2.05 MB · 0 downloads

You need to set pen to none for the Wall container class. And fill to none for the Wall class too. But this is something you can do in class overrides in VPs (if everything is set to be by class).

One thing is Section VPs: you won't want the cladding component to display that way in vertical section so again you can override the tile in the VP + show it with a solid fill for example.