Why site model cut and fill appears only in wireframe?

Zsombor

Question

9 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Zsombor said:

Hello,

I can see cut and fill patches only in wireframe, although I'm in shaded mode.

Is it the right way it works, or is there some bug?

(The best would be to have the ability to see the cut and fill also in 2D top view.)

Thank you for your help

That is a 2d view characteristic.  Change to Top view.  Does the cut and fill appear correctly now?  If not, select your site model and make sure its fill is set to solid in the attributes panel.  If that doesn’t fix it, post the file and someone will take a look at it.

if you want the cut and fill coloring to map to the actual site model for 3D depiction, you can make a texture from the Top view and assign it to the site model.  I do that with sketch concepts and other 2D data.

Edited by jeff prince
58 minutes ago, jeff prince said:

That is a 2d view characteristic.  Change to Top view.  Does the cut and fill appear correctly now?  If not, select your site model and make sure its fill is set to solid in the attributes panel.  If that doesn’t fix it, post the file and someone will take a look at it.

if you want the cut and fill coloring to map to the actual site model, you can make a texture from the Top view and assign it to the site model.  I do that with sketch concepts and other 2D data.

Thank you Jeff,

giving a fill to the site model just solved my wireframe problem. 

Maybe you know the answer also for the second question: how can I make work this 2D cut and fill coloring option in the site analysis setup panel? 

image.png.aa470e001c2ca68a0702996738fb7934.png

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Zsombor said:

Thank you Jeff,

giving a fill to the site model just solved my wireframe problem. 

Maybe you know the answer also for the second question: how can I make work this 2D cut and fill coloring option in the site analysis setup panel? 

image.png.aa470e001c2ca68a0702996738fb7934.png

My pleasure.

I'm not sure what you mean on your second question.

Do you want to change the colors of that cut and fill depiction?

If so, Vectorworks has made it confusing.  You don't change it in Graphic Properties > Site Analysis, even though it sure seems that way.  Instead, go to Graphic Properties > Site Model and change the attributes for "3D Cut Volume" and "3D Fill Volume" at the bottom of the screen.  You can also control this and all other attributes by class if desired.  I really should customized my site models into a class based workflow instead of specifying them in the Site Model Attributes because it is way faster that way.

13 hours ago, jeff prince said:

My pleasure.

I'm not sure what you mean on your second question.

Do you want to change the colors of that cut and fill depiction?

If so, Vectorworks has made it confusing.  You don't change it in Graphic Properties > Site Analysis, even though it sure seems that way.  Instead, go to Graphic Properties > Site Model and change the attributes for "3D Cut Volume" and "3D Fill Volume" at the bottom of the screen.  You can also control this and all other attributes by class if desired.  I really should customized my site models into a class based workflow instead of specifying them in the Site Model Attributes because it is way faster that way.

Thank you, I really apprepriate your help!

my 2nd question would be: 

There's that option (see attached screenshot) in the setup panel, but I don't know how can I make it work (how can I see the result). I suppose it should show cut and fill patches in 2D, which would be really desired for me. But I haven't found any solution for that online.

image.png.f4df91b12b70c5608d7cb2b19e349d0c.png

25 minutes ago, Zsombor said:

Thank you, I really apprepriate your help!

my 2nd question would be: 

There's that option (see attached screenshot) in the setup panel, but I don't know how can I make it work (how can I see the result). I suppose it should show cut and fill patches in 2D, which would be really desired for me. But I haven't found any solution for that online.

image.png.f4df91b12b70c5608d7cb2b19e349d0c.png

see my previous response and change it in GraphicProperties > Site Model.  It’s the same menu you screenshot, just the other tab.

6 hours ago, jeff prince said:

see my previous response and change it in GraphicProperties > Site Model.  It’s the same menu you screenshot, just the other tab.

Thank you,

I understand that under the site model tab you can change the color of the cutandfill on the 3D site model in 3D view (3D cut/ 3D fill). Thanks to you now I can see it even in shaded mode not only in wireframe.

image.png.445b179e07b2e727bd90a16bf2d12cd5.png

I think, that In the analysis tab it should change the color of its 2D representation in the 2D view (2D Cut and fill area) . This would be a great feature, but I don't know how I can make it visible (which 2D style or option should I choose in OIP?)

image.png.20e9ad1750cdd6b3af0268bf10961467.png

Or is this for something totally different purpose?

56 minutes ago, Zsombor said:

I think, that In the analysis tab it should change the color of its 2D representation in the 2D view (2D Cut and fill area) . This would be a great feature, but I don't know how I can make it visible (which 2D style or option should I choose in OIP?)

image.png.20e9ad1750cdd6b3af0268bf10961467.png

Or is this for something totally different purpose?

I don't recall this feature ever working as expected.  Perhaps others will weigh in with their experiences.

On 7/20/2023 at 5:54 PM, jeff prince said:

I don't recall this feature ever working as expected.  Perhaps others will weigh in with their experiences.

Thank you Jeff! I'll inform you in case I would find some answer for this. Best regards, Zsombor

• Like 1