3D export for GPS Machine Control Files

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience writing out 3d files for GPS Machine Control?

I myself am not a user of Vectorworks but am trying to help a customer write a file that is suitable for import into his machine.

We need the design Surface through as 3d Faces in a DXF to allow for import, we are able to manipulate what is currently exported through another software program to get it to work but we don't want the customer to have to rely on the secondary software if it isn't necessary.

Any help is greatly appreicated

Had a quick look at this online.  It seems the systems want DXF.  

Perhaps this will help.

I always had trouble exporting Binary DXF from Vectorworks.  It always worked with DXF "text".  You have probably already tried both.

But....before you do, Convert your 3D model to 3D polygons.

NOTE: DXF uses color to separate objects or surfaces.   If the systems wants separate models, then give them a different fill color.

• Dislike 1

Hi Gareth

Good to post the  files, but could you post the original or a subset of the original VW file to see exactly what we are working with.

8 hours ago, Gareth Jones said:

Original file as it was exported attached along with what it looked like once edited to be used

OK, so this follows what I posted the first time.  When I run your first file (Vectorworks export.dxc) CINEMA 4D does not recognize it.

Then I imported it back in VW (scaled it down a lot), "Converted it to 3D polygons", then exported as "DXF text" and the file read in CINEAM 4D.

Try the file below.  Hope this works.

regards....Paul

XXXX.dxf

9 hours ago, Gareth Jones said:

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the ideas so far,

In response to Jeff the surface that was exported came out as a block and we needed to explode it for our software to then recognize it as something it could use as a surface.

Original file as it was exported attached along with what it looked like once edited to be used

vectorworks export.dxf 335.79 kB · 1 download modified for MC.dxf 130.44 kB · 1 download

Hey Gareth,

Im assuming your surface was originally a Vectorworks site model.  If that is the case, you can ungroup it within Vectorworks and clean it up prior to exporting to .DXF.  That should get you where you need to be without any additional software.  If it wasn’t a site model, what type of native Vectorworks geometry did you create?  That will reveal how to proceed.

hope it helps,

Jeff