Wall component graphic behavior changes when part of a symbol

EliM

In my wall styles, I specify the interior finish (e.g. gyp board) as a separate class so I can turn that class off when I want to see just the stud framing. My issue is that when that wall is part of a symbol, the graphic behavior changes, and the interior finish continues to appear even when I turn that class off. Anyone know what is going on here or how I might be able fix this problem?

Interiorfinishcomponent.thumb.png.6a372a2ef34c6f3e641d384da67af046.pngWallstyle.thumb.png.a91beb71af576d8f70c8e7c9b90f4ee6.png

Interior finish class turned on.png

Interior finish class turned off.png

Edited by EliM

Hey! Hope you are doing good. You can try this Edit the symbol Double-click on the symbol to enter the editing mode.

Adjust the class settings Once inside the symbol, go to the class settings and make sure the interior finish class is turned off within the symbol as well. This will ensure that the interior finish is hidden when the class is turned off. Exit the symbol editing mode After making the necessary changes to the class settings within the symbol, exit the symbol editing mode to return to the main drawing.

On 6/22/2023 at 1:34 PM, EliM said:

In my wall styles, I specify the interior finish (e.g. gyp board) as a separate class so I can turn that class off when I want to see just the stud framing. My issue is that when that wall is part of a symbol, the graphic behavior changes, and the interior finish continues to appear even when I turn that class off. Anyone know what is going on here or how I might be able fix this problem?

Interiorfinishcomponent.thumb.png.6a372a2ef34c6f3e641d384da67af046.pngWallstyle.thumb.png.a91beb71af576d8f70c8e7c9b90f4ee6.png

Interior finish class turned on.png

Interior finish class turned off.png

It seems that the behaviour of the Wall class visibility (the visibility of the container class) changes when the Wall is converted into a symbol. Normally, if you make the first or last component class invisible the Wall class will also become invisible but this doesn't happen if the Wall is symbolised. See:

Screenshot2023-06-24at08_24_39.thumb.png.a77c66bd0a7407af3dc990a1cfb8729e.png

Screenshot2023-06-24at08_25_37.thumb.png.5c7aaadd6afb44d0895ad2d58e897cb2.png

Screenshot2023-06-24at08_26_36.thumb.png.8d6ad2b5d3161b9b9a2ad11491aa01c9.png

Screenshot2023-06-24at08_27_08.thumb.png.49ae9e4a427df60b5c5e2e4ffc22bcd5.png

So I think what's happening in your case is that the interior finish is turning off, it just looks like it's still on because you are seeing the container class (the Wall class) behind. I realise this doesn't help... Perhaps it should be submitted as a bug?

• Like 1

Hi Edward, that didn't work for me unfortunately--but a good idea--I've used such kinds of tricks to correct window tag sizes in the past.

Tom, the explanation makes sense, thank you. I did find that turning off unified view did fix the issues (i.e. the wall container class is now turning off with the outer component class even inside a symbol)