Shorted Display Tag Names on Rack Equipment Items

I'm working on some rack elevations, On my schematic I have some devices with the device names like "WX-MXL316498X" but the display tag is "CAD PC 1". On the rack elevation side, I frequently find myself wishing I could abbreviate an Equipment item's name similar to the Device Name/Display Tag functionality of schematic devices. If I change the name of the equipment item to "CAD PC 1" it breaks the link to the schematic device.

Is there any way to display the Display Tag on an equipment item rather than the full device name?

image.png.73e6303d22e364d308dc596dac7e5c17.png

I'd have a go with Data Tags certainly. I have one that allows me to filter out the CTP_ prefix from panels and place it anywhere.

As for the field definition to evaluate back to the linked Device, I'm not sure.

It appears the reverse is possible, as this is defined in the function reference:

ObjectData('eval equipment item', '<RecordName>', '<FieldName>')

Get parameter value or attached record field from the device's corresponding equipment item.

So even though it's not defined as a function, maybe try ObjectData('eval device', '<RecordName>', '<FieldName>'), choosing the field name you want and wrapped as a worksheet function in a data tag field. It might work...it might not.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Daniel Dickman I had a feeling that opinions would vary on whether the Equipment and Device should have the same Tag.

@spettitt those ObjectData functions are worksheet functions that allow you grab data from associated objects. There are several ConnectCAD-specific ones. You can see examples of these in the standard reports. We hope you find creative uses for them !!!

Conrad

16 hours ago, Conrad Preen said:

@spettitt those ObjectData functions are worksheet functions that allow you grab data from associated objects. There are several ConnectCAD-specific ones. You can see examples of these in the standard reports. We hope you find creative uses for them !!!

Indeed, yes. I was wondering if the #WS worksheet wrap function in the data tag syntax might allow the ObjectData functions to help here.

The only trouble is that one function is missing - ObjectData('eval device'...), which would round out the set. Would be excellent if that could be added to the schema!

I see the use in Daniel's request for us as well, so I might have a go at it like this at some point: a custom record 'Short Name' attached to each EqI via the Data Manager, then a small script to cycle through Device display tags and post the value to the Short Name record of the same-named EI. Then a Data Tag referencing that record.