Scan to BIM - Who is using this or would like to?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

We are looking to gather feedback on those looking for Scan to BIM services in any of our industries.  This includes general point cloud workflows, as well as potential of a third party offering this as a managed service.  

-Are you currently using point clouds, if so, how are these point clouds generated?  Do you self-scan, or hire someone to produce the scan?

-What company/service/software are you using?

-What does your current workflow involve in working with point clouds?

-Would you consider using a company that provided a Scan to BIM as a managed service?

Thank you in advance for your comments.

1 hour ago, LDraminski said:

Are you currently using point clouds, if so, how are these point clouds generated?  Do you self-scan, or hire someone to produce the scan?

-What company/service/software are you using?

-What does your current workflow involve in working with point clouds?

-Would you consider using a company that provided a Scan to BIM as a managed service?

Yes.  I hire service providers for important things, scan things myself with a drone or iPhone if it's not mission critical

Autodesk Recap or one of the many online drone processing companies

Importing to Vectorworks to use as a backdrop for developing native objects and/or decimating the point cloud to use as a data source for site models

Unlikely.  Few people in the scanning industry do architectural BIM correctly, I doubt any will manage site related BIM correctly.  Plus, in my country, this is the domain of licensed surveyors for the most part when the information has legal ramifications.

We have used external companies that have expertise in surveying and deliver detailed BIM models. Attaches a link to the company. Point clouds are delivered divided into different thematic categories according to the standard for this, such as terrain surface, buildings, different types of vegetation, constructions, furniture, etc.

https://www.geoplan3d.no/laser-scanning-og-bim

https://www.geoplan3d.no/files/skann-til-bim-9555.pdf

• Like 2