Site Modelling Workflow

I need to terrace a steep slope, add paths, steps and retaining walls etc. I can create a site model from Lidar data and have a very basic understanding of the site modifiers. However, I am utterly confused at how I should organise layers and classes so that I can switch between existing and proposed, have some modifiers work on both and others just on the proposed. Can anyone point me to a tutorial that covers this? There seems to be enough that shows use of the site modifiers or setting up a site model but not one that actually puts it all together. 

Vectorworks university has some good classes on site modeling.  One of them does a parking lot with retaining walls that is particularly good.

I haven’t seen anything that talks about classes and layers in this regard as everyone had their own preferences and workflows.  I make a design layer called Site Model and append it with numbers if I have more than one in a file.  You can set up your site model to “listen” for site modifiers and other objects that can modify the site using specifically named Layers, all layers, or the same layer as the site model.  This can be helpful when trying different iterations and staying organized.

Did you know Site Models contain both existing and proposed information in a single object? I know when I was starting out it created some confusion due to a lack of explanation.

Thanks Jeff. So, if you want to be able to end up with an existing drawing and two alternative proposals, would you set up three design layers eg. existing site model, proposal1 and proposal2 each with their own separate site model then, under the general settings for the site model, pick the site modifiers relevant to each? Or is there a better way?

When I have multiple designs that need the options presented in 3D, I use a separate site model for each.  Site model A, Option A; Site  model B, Option b, etc… I would do a separate one for the existing conditions just to make it easier to display.  Alternatively , you could do a site model snapshot for the existing instead, which would be worth reading about.

The same strategy can be used further into the design process when change happens… Design layers like SiteModel052823, SiteModel-b4 bldg rotation, etc are pretty common for me.

1 hour ago, rDesign said:

Jeff might be thinking about the one titled ‘ADVANCED SITE MODELING’. It does cover a parking lot and retaining walls.

That's the one.  @Malcolm Woodruff just keep in mind that things have been changing with site models over the years since that session was made.  I think all of it holds true still, but there are additional methods of modifying the site model now that are a little more refined.  Watch the 2023 improvements to site modeling video for the highlights, especially nested grading limits and how vertical sides are made now.

• Like 2