Editing Proposed Site Contours

Hi All (again), 

I'm editing proposed site contours.  When I reshape the contours, I get these sagged 'wrinkles' in the topography.  Terrain should have a nice smooth slope to it, but instead I get these sagged points.  The more I try to simplify and smooth it, the worse it gets by VW adding hundreds of vertices and additional contours that shouldn't be there...  Are there hidden locus points I can't see?  What could be causing VW to have such a mind of it's own?  

I've been reading other posts and it sounds like others have the same issue with no resolution - other than to simplify the model.  This model is already pretty simple.  

Thanks, 

Chris

@Tom W.Oh wow... ok.  I'm not exactly sure I understand how editing proposed topo would be accomplished via recreate from source data.  I'm still relatively new to VW.  That's been my reset button.

I'm thinking the best thing to do would be to redraw proposed contours and model on a different design layer and turn on/off depending on what I want to show the client.  Does that make sense?   

Thanks, 

Chris

I'm probably not the best to offer advice on this as I routinely have two site models in my files: one for the existing + another for the proposed (because I wasn't able to show one set of texture beds on the existing model + another on the proposed within the same DTM).

So in my case editing via Recreate... isn't an issue as I have two models.

Have two models has been working very well for me purposes but I am not looking to do cut + fill calcs. My only concern is to be able to create a load of existing drawings/views + a load of proposed drawings/views.

Others more experienced/knowledgeable may have more help to offer...

1 hour ago, Chris Clymer said:

Hi All (again), 

I'm editing proposed site contours.  When I reshape the contours, I get these sagged 'wrinkles' in the topography.  Terrain should have a nice smooth slope to it, but instead I get these sagged points.  The more I try to simplify and smooth it, the worse it gets by VW adding hundreds of vertices and additional contours that shouldn't be there...  Are there hidden locus points I can't see?  What could be causing VW to have such a mind of it's own?  

I've been reading other posts and it sounds like others have the same issue with no resolution - other than to simplify the model.  This model is already pretty simple.  

Thanks, 

Chris

It looks like bad editing is creating too much conflicting data for Vectorworks to resolve.  Post the site model and someone here will take a look at it.

I wonder though, did you start with a survey of the existing conditions to make this model and now trying to adjust it for the proposed items?

If so, you should be using Site Modifiers instead of wrestling with contours IMHO.  If you did start with a survey, best to use points instead of contours if that is an option for you.