Glass shader Transmission value

I just spotted some confusion related to a vwx standard content texture:

Plastic Transparent Green Polyethylene RT.  I think this applies to any texture with a glass component.

Duplicated and edited to achieve various transparencies via the Transparency Shader value for Transmission, eg 10%, 50%, 100%.

#1 - The default transmission value is 175% and the result is an opaque surface. Why is this the default value above 100? Seems is should be 50% or other between 0 and 100.

#2 - I know that, in general, vwx data fields for percentage can accept values higher than 100. Usually the higher values produce greater effect.  For Transmission, the info text at bottom of dialog, suggests that higher values produce higher transparency.  In textures with Glass transparency, 0% transmission is opaque, 100% is clear . . . but . . . 101 and above is also opaque.  ???  I would imagine the higher values would just be fully transparent.

#3 - The info text is not exactly misleading, but could be amended for clarity and better use of the language. World class software should have world class writing throughout.  I imagine this text has not been reviewed for many versions of vwx

The dialog text as presented:    "Set the value higher increase the transparency"

My meager suggestions:

• "0% = Opaque      100% = Transparent " (or Fully Transparent, or Clear, or . . .)
  • "Set the value higher to increase the transparency"
  • I make no claim to world class word smithing.  Just want the software to best represent itself in all aspects.
  • Note that "set", in English, has more definitions or senses (about 430 as a verb) than most other words in English.  Best to limit or avoid where possible?

-B

589093466_GlassShaderDialog.png.c40f9eb1de2b96aa366422b257808c71.png

Edited by Benson Shaw
  • Like 2