Unable to render Symbol while Editing from the RM with a Sheet Layer active...

Elite Exhibits

Question

Question:

Assume that this is the norm, not a bug or a "feature"

a Sheet Layer is active

Viewport rendering does not look 100% correct

One Symbol is not textured correctly

Edit Symbol from the Resource Manager

Able to "edit", just NOT able to test render (Greyed out) and see the results

Change to Design Layer

Able to "edit", and able to render.

Moral of the fable  - switch to the Design Layer to Edit, even from the RM

Advice and answers are always appreciated

Peter

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Elite Exhibits said:

Question:

Assume that this is the norm, not a bug or a "feature"

a Sheet Layer is active

Viewport rendering does not look 100% correct

One Symbol is not textured correctly

Able to "edit", just NOT able to test render (Greyed out) and see the results

Change to Design Layer

Able to "edit", and able to render.

Moral of the fable  - switch to the Design Layer to Edit, even from the RM

Advice and answers are always appreciated

Peter

@Elite Exhibits you are correct, sadly. I have never been able to fathom why I need to kick back out of sheet layer to design layer to edit a symbol's texture. Irritating. If there is a logical explanation, I'd love to hear it.

This is intended behavior.  When you open an edit container, it uses the settings of the active layer in terms of projection, view, and scale.  Sheet layers can ONLY be 1:1 scale (which can screw up text size and line types when editing 2D symbols from a Sheet Layer if you tend to draft in something other than 1:1 on your design layers), and don't technically have any 3D components (can't change view or render mode).  When editing a 3D or hybrid symbol from a Sheet Layer, you do have 3D view control, so it stands to reason that you should be able to also have render mode control, but that is likely why you are having the problem.

A couple of "workarounds" that at least are a little more convenient:

• Double-click the Viewport and select Edit Design Layer and select the requisite layer.  When you're done editing the texture, you can then push the Return to Viewport button to return to the Sheet Layer.  I've started doing this as a way of avoiding saved views and having to toggle a bunch of visibilities.  I can select a viewport that has the layers I need, then edit the Design Layer through the viewport without having to change my current Design Layer layer visibilities.
  • You can engage the "Multiple View Panes Mode" by pressing "M" on the keyboard (unless you've changed the default).  I routinely have this set to split my view in two, and it lets me edit Design Layers through the viewport while also being able to edit and see annotations simultaneously.  Saves me a lot of time of jumping back and forth between a Design Layer and a viewport's annotation space.  Just make sure that you have the right pane selected before pressing "M" and exiting the Multiple View Panes mode!  I can't count the number of times I've opened it while editing to see a redline annotation, only to accidentally close the mode on the Sheet Layer instead of the Design Layer.
  • Like 3