Detailing an existing site

David Gregory

Question

Hello All,

I've searched through the forums to see if I can find the answers, but I'm either trying to do something unusual (not a great sign), or more likely, I am trying to use the wrong tool for the job!

I have an existing site that I am trying to convert into a site model. I have the survey data, but seem to be struggling with adding the existing road surfaces and boundary walls. I have tested a few things, but from what I've found 'texture bed' seems the most appropriate(?). I've made a test piece and it seems to follow the contours well, but it has no actual texture.

Three questions - 

1) How would you all look to create details like roads and boundary walls for a site model from a 2D site survey?

2) What tools would you use to do this - am I right with a texture bed and it's just a case of making a polygon to follow the 2D layout?

3) There is also an issue where the survey has limited data points where it meets with the road, so the site model has assumed that this is a slope down, not in fact a vertical drop on the boundary - presumably I need to use a site modifier here to make the road cut into the site model? The 'Road' tool seems obvious, but not for existing layouts from the looks of things?

Any pointers appreciated!

Thank you,

David 

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 11.20.26.png

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 11.20.56.png

Screenshot 2023-04-15 at 11.21.30.png

449623196_Screenshot2023-04-15at11_31_20.png

2 answers to this question

6 hours ago, jeff prince said:

What training have you taken on using the site model tool?  What version of Vectorworks are you using?  There have been significant improvements in 2023 that change the way we do a few things.

Hello Jeff,

None around the site model tools as I'm using VW Architect 2020, so I appreciate that it's going to be a far smaller palette of tools than Landmark has to offer, but I'm trying to  put the building into context as I have the site survey data. 

EDIT - I've only just twigged that I've put this question in the wrong part of the forum, it doesn't look like I can move it, so I will recreate the topic over in the general functionality section!

Edited by David Gregory
Realised that the question was in the wrong section of the forums