Viewport Preview Quality

Phsion

Question

I've got what seems to be a recent issue, or a feature I didn't know about.

On one particular drawing, VW is taking forever generating viewport previews for every change.  EDIT: I was incorrect, creating new viewports, editing render modes and perspectives, and opening sheet layers for the first time after restarting VW.

It's a large drawing, so I'm not surprised, but I don't believe I've ever seen VW try to generate actual renders for the viewport preview (I'm seeing very low quality 3D shapes), instead of the simple wireframe preview.

The viewports are in using Shaded Background Render, no colors or textures, just very basic.

I still need to update the viewport after the preview in generated.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the Viewport Preview Quality setting I never knew existed?

Thanks!

Edited by Phsion

6 answers to this question

5 minutes ago, bjoerka said:

Did you alter the DPI settings in the layer options?

If these are set to 72dpi the renders will look not crisp.

Try something above 200dpi...

All the layers are set to 300dpi, and once updated they look fine on screen and after export. This is before they are updated, where I normally see a wireframe preview and a red dotted box, I now see a weird render and the red dotted box, and it takes 10 minutes to switch to a sheet layer.

Edited by Phsion
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Phsion

We introduced viewport previews in SP4 since these image previews will typically use less memory than the old wireframe preview and should only be built when the viewport changes projection or render mode, or the very first time when there was no previous preview. It should not re-generate with every change to the document...

Could you provide a file or example where this happens, and what operation makes the previews re-generate? Thanks!

• Like 1

Now that you say that, I misspoke it seems. I was duplicating viewports and moving them to new sheets, adjusting cameras, etc. I wrongly assumed it was every change.

That being said, it seems to take an awful long time when opening the sheet layer the first time, or creating/changing a viewport enough to trigger the process. Can anything be done to speed it up?

I timed it, since I saved my file view the sheet layer selected, it took 4.5 minutes to reopen the file

Laptop specs:

AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics, 3301 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)

64 GB RAM

M.2 NVME storage

AMD Radeon RX 6800M

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@Phsion thanks. By any chance do you have the "Save viewport cache" option UNCHECKED in the document preferences (under Display)? Once a preview is created it should have been saved with the file and re-open quickly without being re-created unless this option is off.

In our testing having sheets with several viewports drawing the wireframe fallback for un-updated viewports used more memory than these previews... thanks.

• Like 1