Import / Export USD - not in Plugins Folder (Vw2023 SP4)

rDesign

Question

I'm using Vw2023 SP4 on macOS Big Sur 11.7.5, and I am unable to Import or Export USD files. 

1. Using the default Architect-BIM workspace, on my File -> Import menu it says 'ImportUSD not in Plugins Folder.', and on my File -> Export menu it says 'USDExporterMenu not in Plugins Folder.' (see screen caps below)
  2. In the Workspace Editor, on the Menu tab, under 'Import/Export' I do not see anything that has USD in their name.
  3. In the Vectorworks 2023 Application Plugins folder, there are two files named 'USDImporter.vwlibrary' and 'USDExporter.vwlibrary'.
  4. I have also repaired my Vw installation with the Vw2023 Updater application.

Any suggestions? Is the ability to Import / Export USD a Window-only function?

usd-import.jpg.8b7a05ee4c8d61ebc902b996981e3b56.jpgusd-export.jpg.d3c1c3b98be7ad2ea6a55083e8375a50.jpg

I also filed a support request for this last week (case number: 00292627). The Tech support's initial reply was that I may need to reset my User Preferences, so I reset my User Preferences. But it did not work and I emailed them back saying that it didn't work -- I haven't gotten any further response.

2 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @rDesign: Unfortunately the USD libraries we rely on for this do not work on macOS 11.  I know the user experience for this is terrible and I apologize.  We will be working on a better message for this in the UI, such that it will say something like "Not supported on this OS version" or an alert, in a future release.

To use the USD menus you would need to use a newer macOS.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Dave Donley said:

Hello @rDesign: Unfortunately the USD libraries we rely on for this do not work on macOS 11.  I know the user experience for this is terrible and I apologize.  We will be working on a better message for this in the UI, such that it will say something like "Not supported on this OS version" or an alert, in a future release.

To use the USD menus you would need to use a newer macOS.

Thank you for your reply. In addition to a better message in the UI, it would also be very helpful if this limitation were spelled out in the Vw Help file, where it could simply say something like: “On macOS, Import / Export USD functionality requires macOS 12 or newer”. It seems like that would be fairly easy to implement.

Also please make sure Tech Support know about this because it would have saved me having to reset my User Preferences for no apparent reason; they could have just told me that my version of macOS is not supported.

• Like 1