License Management

I'm not sure if there is anything in the works for this or if anyone else shares this frustration, but here goes...

I have one license of VW and it is an educational license at that.  I have it installed on my desktop and on my laptop.  So far so good.  If I am working on my desktop, then have to run out on stage or to another part of campus and want to use VW on my laptop, I get the "Your license is in use on another computer and this will shutdown now" message.  Fair enough, I have one license.  It's quite frustrating if I've gone home for the night to get that message and not be able to work for the evening without having to chase back to my office and close VW.

What is the possibility of doing something like Adobe Creative Cloud where it announces that you've exceeded your limit but you may choose to disable (not sure of the correct wording) the license on the computer you are not on, thus allowing you to work on your current computer.  I have Creative Cloud installed on four computers and just turn the licenses on and off as needed.  It's really nice and easy.

Thanks,

Pat

• Like 3
5 hours ago, salukitd said:

where it announces that you've exceeded your limit but you may choose to disable (not sure of the correct wording) the license on the computer you are not on, thus allowing you to work on your current computer.

That would be nice.

Much nicer than shutting the App down and prevent you from saving your work.

Especially in the case you did not realized that another VW instance was still running

on you second computer - which is hibernating since hours.

(So that VW needed a while to recognize that there is another instance running and

let you do some work at the project in between for a few hours until cutting you

finally off)

• Like 2
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@salukitdWhen Vectorworks prompts you with this alert, it gives you the opportunity to save your work before shutting down. Additionally, you will only be prompted on the machine that had Vectorworks open first. For example, if you have Vectorworks open on your office machine and forget to close, then go home and open Vectorworks on your home machine, you will be able to work on the laptop without problem. Upon returning to the office, you will see that Vectorworks has prompted you to save your work and shut down. This is built specifically to allow you to continue working in the event that Vectorworks is accidentally left open, you will not be out of luck.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 3/31/2023 at 3:56 PM, zoomer said:

That would be nice.

Much nicer than shutting the App down and prevent you from saving your work.

Especially in the case you did not realized that another VW instance was still running

on you second computer - which is hibernating since hours.

(So that VW needed a while to recognize that there is another instance running and

let you do some work at the project in between for a few hours until cutting you

finally off)

@zoomerVectorworks will not prevent you from saving your work before shutting down, in the event that the license is running on multiple machines at the same time.

• Like 2

Did that change ?

It maybe already have been a few years ago when that happened a few times

between Mac and PC (VW 2018 or 2019 ?) and maybe even earlier too.

E.g. playing with a VW 2015 on my old Mini Server or old Mac Pro and forgot it.

When doing real work later on the Trash Can, at one point the old Mac woke up

and AFAIK there was no more access to menus or CMD+S. Just the warning that

VW will close and AFAIR it did not even ask for an OK to close ....

I should try again 🙂

Edited by zoomer