Do we have a smart Match Line tool?

• 2 months later...

I don't think this exists and I bet it would take a really special effort to make it work right.  Even more effort to make it suite everyone's different preferences on how it should look, how the referencing would work, etc...

If Vectorworks could make something that worked well and fast, I would appreciate it.

I create my matchlines by shaping my viewport crop 1st .

Then, I enter the design layer from the viewport with the "add reference crop object" active.

This makes a nice outline of my viewport in 'design space'.

I grab that shape, stick it on my desired class, and put in on my desired "matchline" design layer.

My prototype already has design layers like this set up correctly, so the keymap(s) and sheets graphics just populate automatically.

I sometimes have to draw polylines for particular graphic desires, so it's easy to snap to the geometry created earlier.

For a medium sized project like the attached, which is part of 14 plan sheets needed to describe all the lakes, you are talking 15 minutes to annotate the different types of keymaps and sheets using a copy/paste in place workflow.  Typically, this happens once in a project, I do it late in the game to avoid rework.

A trick I used to use in AutoCAD was using different linetype styles with text in them "Matchline A", "Matchline B", etc... for matchlines.

Then, I never had to label them once they were placed.  That would get me by until some city would dig in their heels and require that their standards be followed.  At that point, the projects are sufficiently developed such that deletion or rearranging of sheets is highly unlikely.  This same process could work in Vectorworks nicely.

A Vectorworks trick that I just thought of reading this thread would be using Data Tags for matchline labels and polygons to define the sheet area to populate the data tag.

A scheme could be developed where this could work fairly well I imagine, but likely more effort than doing it the old fashioned way.

keymap and matchline example.pdf

• Like 1