River shape

brody98

Just seeing how other people have gone about creating a shape for a dry creek bed in 3d e.g. i have the shape in plan view that i want but i wanted to know how i can lower the middle whilst keeping the outer banks the same height, i have included the shape i have now for reference.

Thanks for any help

rivere.jpg

A few ways…

Extrude along a path.  Draw a cross section of the creek and an edge of it as the path. 

Loft 2 Rail with profile.

Subdivision tool.

if you want to get super realistic, you can trim your surface to match your displacement map (refer to your other thread) in Top view and get that sweet irregular edge.

Edited by jeff prince
  • 1 month later...

@brody98 You can also use the Path grading tool and "add transvers profile".

You can Fit Path To Surface (check box in the OIP) or just add start and end elevations - or add as many elevation points as you would like....

After you have your creek bed drawing in top/plan you can add the transverse profile to make the banks higher than the center.

You get to this in top/plan from the menu drop arrows at the ends of the path modifier.

Then you drag along the path to place the profile - you can add multiple profiles if you want the banks to change in various areas.

Then you hit the profile drop arrow you "edit transverse profile" which opens the profile where you can add points.

Works pretty well!

FYI there is a coffee break video in the university that explains better than me -  "COFFEE BREAK - SITE MODIFIER IMPROVEMENTS" at around 34mins

• Like 1