Name 1 is in use

Beejaydub

Question

Trying to make a focus point on a document I've been putting together, and it seems like a ton of numbers are taken up somewhere by other objects. I can't seem to find them in resource browser, and creating a report and/or custom selection haven't seemed to find the culprit. No layers or classes with those names either.... 

Any thoughts?

12 answers to this question

What did you do in your report?

Go to the Resource Manager. Click New Resource in the bottom left corner and make a worksheet.

Right click in Row 3 and choose Database. When the Criteria Builder opens set it to a single line of Name Is Not leaving the actual name blank. In the formula row it should show as =Database((N<>'')). Make sure you check the Search Within Symbols, Plug-in Objects, and Viewport Annotation check boxes.

That should give you a database of every named object in the file.

In Cell A3 enter a formula of =N. This should show you the name of each object. Use the disclosure triangle to sort the column by name. You could also enter in B3 a formula of =GetTypeName to see what type of object is named.

If you see the name you are looking for, right click on the sub-row header and choose select object and VW will change the layer and class visibilities and activities to select the object and center it on the screen.

If this is not enough ask here again.

• Like 1

Leaving the right slot empty in my example gives you every object has has a name.

Name IS NOT {blank}  means that it has a name.

And yes, Type was available much earlier than GetTypeName. You just have to look up what the type numbers mean in the Vectorscript Appendix if you care. GetTypeName is just more elegant in giving the actual name like Circle or Extrude.

Where I most commonly see single digit named objects (outside of Focus Point objects that is), is with Sheet Layers.  Vectorworks uses the Sheet Number field as the actual name of the sheet layer, so if you have a sheet "1", then that is likely going to be your named object 1.  As a way around this, I often add a letter identifier to my Sheet Numbers (A for architectural or audio, E for electrical, L for lighting, S for scenic or structural).

Otherwise, you can use this tool that I wrote to batch replace text within a Vectorworks drawing to track down at least what the object type is.  As you type in text in the top box, the list browser will automatically populate with named objects containing that text, sorted by object type.  Individual numbers will likely turn up a large number of matches, but it would be a quick and dirty way of tracking down the culprits (and it might prove to be handy to your for its original purpose as well).

image.png.f2cc564f2adbaef3c7b232cc42ffe907.png

To install, follow the directions below:

1. Open up your Vectorworks User Folder in Mac Finder / Windows Explorer.  One quick and dirty way to get to it is to navigate to your Vectorworks Preferences, go to the User Folders tab, and click on the Explore / Open in Finder button.
  2. Open up the Plug-ins folder.
  3. Download the attached .vsm file and put it in that Plug-ins folder.
  4. Restart Vectorworks.
  5. Go to Tools - Workspaces - Edit Current Workspace.
  6. Click on the Menus tab.
  7. In the box on the left, navigate to and expand the JNC category.
  8. In the box on the right, find a menu to deposit the command, like Tools.
  9. Click and drag the Replace Name Text command from the box on the left to the desired menu on the right.
  10. Click the OK button.  The command will now be found inside the chosen menu.

The command will work with any version of Vectorworks from 2019 forward and can be used to quickly rename or remove text from classes, layers, symbols, just about anything aside from Resource Manager Folders.  I use it fairly often to remove the annoying "Light Instr" prefixes from lighting fixtures from the VW library.  It will also flag changes that might cause naming conflicts after operation (look at the Sheet Layer named "L11" above).

Replace Name Text.vsm

• Like 1