Applying a Custom Sash using Window Tool

Anelisa T

Question

Hello There! 

I currently have Vectorworks 2023 and have a MacBook Pro 2020/Monterey

I hope that you are all well. I am currently drafting detail drawings for a double hung window. I wanted to apply the sash molding that we are actually going to use to the model. Is there a way to do that using the window tool. If I use the parameters of the Sash tab in the Windows dialog box, it renders the sash flat. I don't see an option to import a drawing of a profile or anything like that. 

Let me know if this is something that is possible using the window tool or is it something that would need to be modeled.

Thanks so much in advance! 

Anelisa Torruella 

Thanks so much 

3 answers to this question

It would need to be modeled. But after you make it a symbol you can use the "Use Symbol Geometry" option in the window object to show your model while leaving the VW Window Object in the wall so you can use it in the schedule. 

Two other notes:

1. If you do Use Symbol Geometry, it is possible to make the Window object settings different than the symbol (say make the symbol 36" wide, but have the data on the Window object be 42" wide), so you do need to be careful about matching the data and the symbol.

2. If you start with a Window object that is close to what you want, you can Ungroup that and use that as a starting point for modeling your window.

HTH