Different connectors depending on sheet

Callum Walker

Hi all,

I am looking at using ConnectCAD to start drawing system diagrams for theatre shows.

Currently I draw manual pictures on sheet-layers in Vectworks (so just lines and shapes, no smarts).

One of the things I like to avoid are the monster drawings where 1 sheet has the entire show's information. For example a media server has power, video in, video out, network, audio in, audio out. If I convey all those connections in 1 drawing, each device would have 20+ connectors making it very messy. Is it possible to have 1 device show different connections on different reports? such as a 'data' report where only data/network connections are shown and a video report/sheet that only shows video related cables/connections?

Cheers

Cal

• Like 1

@Callum Walker I think that you are talking about two different things here.

To the question if you can have different connections on the different design layers. I do this all the time I make sure that the device has the same "Device Name" and the same "Display Tag" and then I make sure that non of the connectors are the same name. So with this process, you can have a device on different layers, and different connectors. So say power on one page and video on another.

As for the reporting, I am still learning. But there has to be a way to cut the report down to just the power or design layer.

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello all,

On 12/21/2022 at 6:35 PM, Jeff.Sullivan said:

As for the reporting, I am still learning. But there has to be a way to cut the report down to just the power or design layer.

- Correct, you can edit the worksheet criteria and limit the report to specific layers only or even specific signal flows. You can find out more about criteria on the help site here - https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2023/eng/VW2023_Guide/LandingPage/Welcome_to_Vectorworks.htm

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Ok so I've had a bit of a read through of the documentation (I did have a demo license but activated it at the worst possible time so didn't play with it at all!) I would create a device such as a Disguise Pro 2x4 media server. Can I then add different sockets such is video sockets, network sockets, power sockets. and assign different classes to the different sockets so only certain sockets appear on certain views. Or do I have to create different devices with the same name (can you have multiple devices with the same name?)

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi @Callum Walker

In ConnectCAD multiple devices with the same name refer to the same physical bit of equipment. This allows you to split your project across different layers and separate signals e.g. video, network, audio etc. Just use the same device name and ConnectCAD "knows" what you are talking about. The Check Drawing command helps make sure you don't have the same socket appearing in two instances with the same device name 🙂.

Best wishes for the New Year

Conrad

• Like 3
  • Love 1