texture turns grey

DDDesign

I have some textures in a file created as filtered images. After a while, when I use FQ or custom RW some of the faces turn grey. Strangely, some faces on solids on different planes are OK. I've found I can get the rendering back to normal if I go through and slightly change the mapping scale in the OIP. However the problem recurs after a while, and I have to do it all over again.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello DDDesign:

Do the faces overlap? The raytracing recursion level may need to be increased to account for the overlapping surfaces. The default for FQRW mode is 5. In general you will need to set this to twice the number of overlapping surfaces. So if you have 4 overlapping 3D polygons use Custom RW mode with the raytracing recursion set to 8.

This is required for overlapping image props too.

The objects are single extruded rectangles-one in front of the other. If I'm understanding correctly what you mean by overlap, then this explains why the top faces render ok, but the the front visible face is grey. However, I'm not sure how this theory explains the change in render when the mapping scale is changed. Or why everything works OK, and all of a sudden the problem occurs.

If I set Custom RW to shadow mapped shadows, instead of ray-trace, would it also solve the problem?