Imported 3D model: See plan view without triangulation of every face?

I'm a landscape architect and use VW Landmark with imported building models, usually cleaned up in SketchUp.

When I import the model from SketchUp it looks fine in 3D but when I switch to default 2D/top view (with num 0), every surface sub-divides into meshes, giving a very messy look.

If I switch to Hidden line or shaded the imported buildings look better, but everything else is wrong (site model, tree symbols etc)

I've tried SketchUp file, SketchUp IFC export, .dwg and a bunch of different settings but with similar results. Any advice is appreciated! 

Vectorworks2022_7yJzsnGrsJ.png

Vectorworks2022_ldyyCsdIwa.png

In VW, 3D objects will display as 'hollow' in Top/Plan (2D) view. This is where hybrid objects come in as they have both a 3D representation + a 2D representation. So one simple option would be for you to select all the building models + convert them into a single Auto Hybrid (AEC > Create Auto Hybrid). This is a quick + simple way to create Top/Plan geometry for 3D objects.

Another way is to convert them into Hybrid Symbols i.e. symbols which contain a 3D component + a 2D (Top) component. This way you have more control over the precise 2D geometry you give the objects.

Tom is correct. But a little more information.

Top/Plan is a unique view. "2D" (formerly Screen Plane) objects display properly in Top/Plan.  For pure 3D objects you get a Wire Frame view of those objects. Then there are Hybrid Objects that contain both 2D and a 3D elements. The 2D display in Top/Plan and the 3D in all other views.

This Hybrid display is used in many industries (eg. architecture to allow door swings in Top/Plan but not have them show in the model, Entertainment Lighting to allow the Top/Plan view to be schematic symbols of the devices that can be very different than the true 3D view of the lamp, etc.)

If you look at your imported Sketchup models in Wireframe in any view, you will see the have the triangulated appearance. That is just the way Sketchup works.

Auto Hybrid effectively takes a rendered view of the object in Top view and converts that to 2D objects which will show in Top/Plan. If you edit the "contained" 3D model, the Auto Hybrid will regenerate to show those changes.  This is probably your best option.

The manual alternative is to make Symbols of each building and manually add 2D components as necessary.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...