Reference windows jump around when waking from sleep.

bc

Hello all,  this is not a Vectorworks issue but an issue I have with Mac OS 12.6.1 where others here might have a similar set up and hence a similar problem.

I bring this issue to this Forum as it seems I have exhausted my quest for remedies in that 2 weeks with third tier Apple tech support and Apple website "Communities" has brought no joy. Apple refuses to go any deeper with Monterey and suggests I upgrade to Ventura to see if that solves the problem but doing so is not currently recommended by VW.

My set up:

Brand new 2021 MacBook Pro with the highest possible specs monitored by its' own screen, a brand new 27" Mac Studio Display and an old 24" Dell. So three monitors with the Studio Display as the Main monitor. The OS is Monterey 12.6.1 (last iteration). Both external monitors connected directly to the MB Pro.....no hubs.

I need to have several windows open on each monitor for references in my work flow. When waking from sleep all of the windows jump around to other monitors and get scrambled up or sometimes all get ganged up on the main monitor. Then I have to arrange them all over again so I can work.

This takes maybe 30 to 40 seconds but the time and anguish add up AND it shouldn't be happening.

My questions to all who might have similar setups:

Has anyone else had this problem?

Did you arrive at a solution?

Does the problem exist in Ventura?

Thanks for listening,

Bradley

Wow, thanks for that Pat.  I had no luck what-so-ever searching Mac.  This approximates my problem, indeed.  Even considering the post is 7 years old as I remember it happening with my 2012 iMac which only had the one Dell for an external.  The problem is I don't have the faintest idea if my Dell can be set to look at my Mac port only nor how to do that if it could. It's an old 2408WFP display.  Ha, I actually won it in a Vectorworks promotional drawing many many years ago....back when 24 inches was serious screen real estate!

Any Idea how I can look further into this?

Does the Dell have multiple different ports (HDMI, VGA, etc) on the back?  Does it have any kind of on-screen menu controls?  If so, then there might be a way to force it to look at one input.

Google the model for a manual on the monitor.

Another option I came across was to plug an inexpensive KVM (Keyboard, Video, Monitor) switch in between the Mac and the display. This will typically make the Mac always think there is a monitor connected even if the real monitor is turned off.

HTH.

Yes Pat it has nearly every port imaginable except usb3 or thunderbolt.  It's old. And yes it has on screen settings controls with buttons on the front to operate it.  I kept selecting the HDMI port but it doesn't really offer anything in the way of telling it to look at only one input in any of the settings.  I went to Dell, got the manual, checked out their support community and there isn't much luck for mac users.  There they explicitly state mac is only 7.6% of their market so that's about as much support as they are going to offer and imply that we are lucky they do that.

I will look into the KVM but I am thinking I may not be able to get there from here.

Thanks again for the insight.

Well Pat thanks for trying.

As it stands I can't get there from here.

I plugged in a KVM switch and the problem persists.

Surely other people in the mac world have a similar setup and are functioning OK.

Time for a new monitor or maybe an upgrade to Ventura?

Bradley