Sign in to follow this  
benberfield

Viewport rendering and file types

I have a sheet with 4 viewports on it. I would like to render the viewports and save it as an image file and eventually print.

Can anyone tell me whet the shortest steps are to get this done and what image type will give me the best quality.

I don't want to "Update the viewports" if I don't have to.

Thanks

Use the render bitmap tool at 200-300dpi and save it to a different layer. The bitmap is then viewed thru the viewport and printed.

The dpi I show is the final print resolution and will relate to the layer scale. Don't try to render a 100 metre square bitmap at 300dpi. You'll lock up your machine for the next century.

N_R's technique works very well but results in very large file sizes. The file size becomes an issue if you have a bunch of layers with different images. In this case, just set the print resoultion in ViewPort to 300dpi then update the viewports >print to pdf

If you need a down & dirty really quick solution, then use a screen copy like 'Constrictor' or 'Grab' to frame & copy a rendered image then paste it or save it anywhere. For example I render on the fly then use 'Constrictor' to frame & copy the image from my cinema display for inclusion with email or presentations. The screen Grab is at the resolution of the display and the total process takes less than 10 secs..

if you want to export the viewports as rendered images, try the batch rendering command on the render menu (available with renderworks). this command allows you to set up rendered views and export resolutions for later use. then when you want them you start the batch render job, tell VectorWorks where you want the files stored and off you go.