Create Schedule

I am finally learning how to create custom schedules and have been successful with my door and window schedules. I am having a problem figuring out how to create a Room Finish Schedule. I have linked the room number and room name from the Simple Room Name tool. Those columns are the only ones I need to be linked. I need the other columns to let me fill in the information manually. I can't seem to figure out how to do this. I don't need to use the Space tool for most projects (I know I could pull from that database). Is thetr a way to do what I need?

761246664_ScreenShot2022-10-12at1_42_10PM.thumb.png.2c9585b339393c94bc43cb5a561f6c0b.png

Since you are using a Database row for the linking to the objects on the drawing, you will have to attach a custom record (or "repurpose" existing fields in the existing object).

Anything that shows in a database row has to be stored somewhere or be calculable from the object. That means that you need to attach a record and use the fields in that record as a place to store that data. Since database rows can be sorted, if you were able to just type in, when you sorted the database, that data would not stick to the correct object.

So make a custom record "MyRoomScheduleData" and make Text type fields for Floor Material, Floor Base, Wall, Ceiling, Interior Elevation, and Notes.

Attach that record to each of the Room Name objects.

Edit the database header row (which you screen show shows to be hidden. Set the check in the Worksheet View menu to see it) and enter formulas for each column similar to:

='MyRoomScheduleData'.'Floor Material'

But use the actual Record name and field name you create.

Ask again if you need more information.

HTH

• Like 1

I think I learned enough from figuring out the other schedules to actually understand whhat you just said. In my mind I was thinking I needed something to attach to the Room Names. I will let you know if I need more clarification.

Thank you so much for all the ways you have helped. I have gotten really good with everything 3D but I have determined this year I am going to really utilize the "I" part of BIM.

• Like 1

So the record you created is named 'JA/RoomScheduleData'.  Personally, I never use slashes (forward or back), periods, commas, or semicolons, or most other characters in record and field names.  I most stick to dash (-) and underscore (_) but the slash should be ok, especially if it is working in other columns.

1. Copy the formula from column E into columns C & D and make sure it works there. If it does not, then we are chasing a different problem.

2. Triple check that you have the EXACT spelling of the record name and field name.  'Floor Base' is different than 'FloorBase' is different than ' Floor Base', is different than 'Floor Base '.  Note that the last two have an extra space at either the beginning or the end.

If none of that helps, DM me the file, or a subset of the file including a few objects, the record format, and the worksheet and I will take a look.