Vectorworks 2023 crashes when opening (macOS 12.6)

jrodea

Question

I have installed the VW2023 in a MacBookPro (2019) with MacOS Monterey (12.6).

After trying to run the app, it immediately crashes. The window of "Vectorworks 2023 quit unexpectedly" reports the following:

-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process:               Vectorworks [1359]
Path:                  /Applications/Vectorworks 2023/Vectorworks 2023.app/Contents/MacOS/Vectorworks
Identifier:            net.nemetschek.vectorworks
Version:               28.0.0 (668937) (28.0.0)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               502

Date/Time:             2022-10-05 10:04:53.2171 -0500
OS Version:            macOS 12.6 (21G115)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     6.6 (19P6067)
Anonymous UUID:        7FF02E17-E209-D0AB-3626-FEAC23CFD55D

Time Awake Since Boot: 3600 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  CrBrowserMain  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000000
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Region Info: 0 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 4331855872
      REGION TYPE                    START - END         [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
--->  
      __TEXT                      10232e000-1070f2000    [ 77.8M] r-x/r-x SM=COW  ...S/Vectorworks

Do you know how can i fix this problem?

6 answers to this question

Thanks! I have done that but no response yet, but I figured out a way to avoid the crash.

I don't know if it is an issue or not, but, it seems that the problem was having an open session in VW2020.

Apparently, although VW2020 wasn't running during the installation process nor in the multiple tries opening the software, because of the signed in session, the system can't run the activation script and therefore the VW couldn't complete the activation. So, i had to start VW2020, log out the open session, close VW2020 and try again. After that, VW2023 runs and the first thing asked was to sign in 🤷‍♂️, therefore it finalize the activation, and then... it works!

I hope that this thread and workaround help someone with the same problem.

• Like 2
On 10/5/2022 at 3:48 PM, jrodea said:

Thanks! I have done that but no response yet, but I figured out a way to avoid the crash.

I don't know if it is an issue or not, but, it seems that the problem was having an open session in VW2020.

Apparently, although VW2020 wasn't running during the installation process nor in the multiple tries opening the software, because of the signed in session, the system can't run the activation script and therefore the VW couldn't complete the activation. So, i had to start VW2020, log out the open session, close VW2020 and try again. After that, VW2023 runs and the first thing asked was to sign in 🤷‍♂️, therefore it finalize the activation, and then... it works!

This worked for me.

Juan's response was not helpful - thanks.

On 10/5/2022 at 10:48 PM, jrodea said:

I don't have Vectorworks 2020 installed, but Vectorworks 2023 still crashed every time I want to open it. Can you suggest something?