alternative roofing

why can not the things we draw in 3d show up as a 2d object in Top/Plan View? as if we used the Roof tool. hence no rendering.

i am currently adding trim to my roof and realize that the roof is too fat at the rake so i have to get rid of the roof object or make thin roof "slabs" at all the gable ends. why am i even using this tool?

the only way to do it right is to build it in 3d but then it would be nice for it to show up as 2d (class color/line weight) in top/plan. like making a hybrid symbol w/o having to make it

Mechanix. FWIW: When I first start a project I use the ROOF and/or ROOF FACE object quite a lot. IMO they are a great "quick & dirty" way to get an acceptable presentation model.... But, once the project is in the WD stage, If I want to use VW's ability to generate sections and elevation from the model (and if I want it to be accurate - which i do!) I usually end up drawing the rafter(s) and then extruding/duplicating. I then use a ROOF FACE for the sheathing, and can apply a roofing texture to it. So the answer is that there's no magic solution. As far as we've come from the days of hand drafting creaing a really good set of plans is still a very large job, and as such it takes time....

Mechanix

I generally concur with Mr. Cipes on what to do with roofs/roof face. However I use a few refinements I prefer to drawing rafters and then extruding them. Simply another approach.

At early design stage I use the roof tools to get an acceptable design model. Later I use the rafter tools to get a framing layout, making teaksw and other adjustments in layout by shifting with various moves and revised length. I then convert the original roof design to a thickness which represents sheathing + roof thickness. Textures have already been set in the schematic or design development stage - so unless a roof spec change is necessary I leave that alone.

Finally I run the fascia along the eaves using the joist tool feature in plan view. I should noite that rake fascias are simply rafters moved to the edge of the gable overhang. If they need to be deeper - say a 2x8 fascia with 2x6 rafters, I change their depths in the OIP and then drop them a little using the 3D-Move tool to make them algin correctly.

To model a gutter I draw a 2D gutter profile, then a polygonal line along the gutter path, select both ad get do an extrude along path. Make sure you are in the correct plan view when you do this, else you get alignment problems.

Sometimes finshes are applied to the bottom of the rafters. So I duplicate the roof, thin it accordingly and lower it to the bottom of the rafters so my sections read with finishes. I also put it into the Mod-Ceiling layer. And my interior perspectives reflect a ceiling finish.

Note that all the framing tools e.g. Rafter From Roof, the legacy rafter tools for rafters from roof face, and the joist tools all produce 2D/3D hybrid rafters and fascia.

When you use the section tools - "old style" 2D&3D or "new style" Live Sections - all the pieces show - making clear the relationship of structural parts.

This produces a pretty good simulation of the real world pieces. and when you do a final perspective, with all the 3D pieces colored or textured appropriately it conveys the desired design effect to the observers.

A bonus to using the rafter, joist tools (even for ceiling joists) is that you get a piece count and cut list which is close enough to do good estimating.