Importing survey file and creating a site model - 3D image not working

aturner0987

Question

Hi Vectorworks,

Thanks in advance for any help on this problem I'm having. I'm very new to Vectorworks and am trying to import some site data I collected to create a site model that I can use. 

- I collected data of my 0.5 acre site using a Garmin Colorado 400t and created a track that saved my location and elevation data ever 1 second. The data file is a GPX file and I converted the file to CSV, where I removed any extra columns besides the Latitude, Longitude, and Elevation. I also removed the first line with the headers so it's only the data I need.

- I click on Landmark < Survey Input< Import Survey File. The next pop up shows that it's reading my data file okay (I see the data reflected), I choose comma delimited, Latitude Longitude Elevation, and I have tried choosing both the Create Stake and Create 3D Locus setting. 

- When I choose create 3D Locus setting, and then zoom to fit the objects, I see all my data points on the screen. Clicking on individual ones shows the correct x/y/z coordinates in the Object Info box. 

- I select all the points, and click Landmark<Create Site Model<Site Model from Source Data. In the pop up, it seems to be reading my data okay based on the info automatically filled in the boxes. I've tried changing all kinds of settings in this box, but nothing seems to change the result I get in the next step. 

- When I click okay, I usually see a white shape with an orange outline over where all my data points are. There are no contour lines in the shape, or if there are lines, they are going in all kinds of directions. 

- When I change the view to a 3D mode and try zooming to fit the object, it shows my data like it's a very long, thin line. Zooming in just shows this line in a bunch of green and brown colored lines. I wish I could explain it better, and I'm hoping that someone recognizes what I'm describing and knows what I'm doing wrong. 

Thanks again!

1 answer to this question

Something to look at:

Select all your source 3d loci before creating the site model.

Switch to Front View

Fit to Objects.

This might reveal some outlying loci or other kinds of objects, perhaps a few at z=0 or waaay low or waaay high.  If you find something suspicious, zoom to see what they are.  Might be text objects or something other than loci?  Do you get the same set of objects if Select Similar tool used to select the loci rather than Select All?

If possible, please post a screenshot or vwx file showing the lines in all kinds of directions?  Site model display options or render mode need adjust?

-B

• Like 1