Tag tables wirh data from excel refering to name

Hi,

sorry I’m completely new to vectorworks and searching doesn’t help yet.

we are working on a big dinner situation where the tables (simply rectangles) should be tagged with a short code, displayed on the table itself.

I can generate a excel file with the names of the tables and the code.

Is there a smart way of doing this?

Can it be refreshed by updating the excel?

thanks for your advise!

This can be done relatively easily using a Symbol, a Record Format, Link Text to Record, and a Worksheet.

While you could create a live link to Excel using an ODBC connection, unless the data in Excel changes very often and the drawing is also issued very often, it is probably not worth the effort to get and keep it working.

It will be easier to copy and paste the data from Excel into a Vectorworks worksheet which can be directly linked to the objects.  You will need to use two fields in the Record format and two columns in the Worksheet/Excel to be able to keep the sort order between the Worksheet and Excel synced.

There is currently a bug in VW2022 where you can not directly paste Excel data into a Worksheet Database range of cells. You will need to paste into a VW Worksheet set as Spreadsheet cells, then copy that data and paste into the database.

The attached file (VW2022 format) has a sample of the VW portion of the workflow. It has the Symbol with Text Linked to Record and the Record Format and Worksheet already set up. Try pasting data into the database subrows in the Table Name column and you will see that the symbol instances on the drawing will update.

HTH.  Ask again if you need more information.

Table Symbols with Name.vwx

• Like 3

Hi,

first of all your solution works very fine and i was able to rebiuld this in a empty file!

One additional idea about this.

If i set a value in my excel, let’s say a number, wich represents a color to mark some of my tables with a color how can i get this done?

I tried data visualisation but nothing happend.

is this possible?