Existing Tree Menu - Landmark user interface ergonomics.

hollister design Studio

Question

A suggestion that the menu for the existing tree tool could be made a little more ergonomic.

Right now, the arguably most important data input points are spread around the menu - I'm sure it made sense when it was being written - but it doesn't feel right as a user.

I almost always enter some data in the wrong slot - canopy in the height slot for instance - and don't always catch it until later.

Proposed changes - Move sizing data all together and at the top and move the "irregular canopy" button below this data area so the field is visually consistent.

This makes them all easily findable when populating a file with existing trees.

In the concept below I've moved DBH, Height, First branch, and Canopy Max to the top where I can enter the known data as I populate without having to search.

Honestly for me I'd like canopy max right below DBH as those are the most important for me in 2D, but putting it at the bottom lets it be right next to the canopy min dialog

Proposed Menu changes:

Existing-tree.jpg.5e79ae9775e1d1aee29c3a556bd560ec.jpg

1 answer to this question

There is likely a zillion opinions on this, none of which will make everyone happy.

I think the original organization makes more sense to me.

If you are doing this kind of thing frequently, importing the data rather than typing in is the fast and easy way to avoid data entry errors.  When collecting the information, you can do it in a spreadsheet, app, or custom Filemaker app from your phone.  Any of these strategies give you a method of organizing the data however you want to suit your organizing preferences and then importing it into Vectorworks.  Specialized Apps offering a more robust set of tools, including photo documentation that is tied to the data.