Empty Solid Object ??? AAAAAAAAAAArg HELP !

Dan Warb

Hiya Super Techs !

Thanks so much to all you guys on here that help out us guys learning to get a break !

My last head ache is down to subtracting solids. I have aproject under way that requires subtracting many solids made out of extruded poly lines but I find is that when I subtract one of these extruded poline solid from another basic solid that the poli line solid just dissapers and doesn't subtract from the basic solid. I know Im lining each solid to intersect within each other space especially when I high light both the solids and apply the 'intersect solid' tool that I do get what your supposed to and end up with the correct sectioning. Saying that though sometimes I get a window that pops up saying 'you have tried to create an empty solid object'.

Ive tried looking through the Vector help but nothing really explains what an'empty solid' is or how to make it a solid on those occasions when the program doesn't.

Any tips out of this one SuperTechs ???

Cheers guys !

Dan Warb

Check that the Polyline is "closed"

sometimes the last vertex doesn't snap to the starting vertex properly and you get a surface OK but if you extrude the poly you get an extruded "edge" not a solid. Put it in an iso view and render with open GL to see.

If the sufrace is a polygon there is a tick box in the OIP to close it.

If it's a polyline you'll have to find the offending last 2 verticies and close them with the last mode of the 2D reshape tool.

N.

Thanks Propstuff !

We meet again !

I completely made sense of your post above but when in an iso view I first looked at the poly line before extruding it and it obviously didn't appear rendered. I then extruded it and the shape became clearly a solid. In then subtracting this shape from another shape of which I have already successfully subtracted from, once again the extruded polyline shape just dissapeared. Then in trying add solids I got 'you have tried to create an empty solid object edir the geometry to resolve this'.

What do you think I'm doing wrong ??

Cheers PropStuff !

Dan

Cheers PropStuff !

Got it now ! when closing the polilyne youve just got to be sure to close finish off the shape and close it when it actually saiys 'point' and not just 'object'.

Cheers chap ! If your ever in Brighton let me know and I can buy you a beer !

Cheers loads !

Dan