PLT files...

jonk..

Depends on your pdf creator and print settings with regard to quality.

For example one of my pdf creators, an Adobe cut down version, Acrobat Elements, I got preloaded on my PC has settings from 1200dpi downwards.

PLT file I believe is a Autocad plot file, and sounds too me like you need it to create one.

Of course if your client was receptive to the idea you could persuade them to install Vectorworks Viewer (free program on your install disc or download) then they could view and print your VW files.

Alan

But that does means sending them a copy of your VW file, wereas with pdf its just an image of the drawing.

that was good advice to do a search, i found this below from "mike m oz" which appears to be something that might work... the original problem is that a PDF produced from the "save as file" option in printing is just terrible in VectorWorks, compared to a vector plot from a PLT file.... whether this is an Apple problem or VectorWorks doesn't matter to a Vectorworks user, they get bad results, and VectorWorks should work with Apple to solve the problem.. VectorWorks also should have a "vector" type of output option that can be used with service bureaus, including being able to use a cutter, or Pen plotter.... to create models and perspectives...

a question i have related: someone was talking about using Adobe to create the PDf since it was a better PDF, but how do you do that from VectorWorks? is that a two step process? i'm just not getting what they mean here....how they are using Adobe to create a VectorWorks PDF???

thanks for any help on that...

this below is what i found it might help someone else out too.....

-------------------------------------------------

Use this procedure with OSX Panther (the process is similar for Tiger but a bit easier)

I discovered it purely by accident after being very frustrated with the quality of the OS X Panther Save to PDF option on a Mac. (The standard of VW drawings printed that way is very bad with poor linework and lousy colours. In my view it verges on the unuseable.)

This procedure produces very good results.

- When printing select Output Options and choose Save as File : Postscript. This creates a postscript file. (Do not select the PDF option!)

- Double clicking on this postscript file will open it up in Preview. In doing this Preview converts the PS file to a PDF file.

- Save As a PDF file by just adding .pdf to the file name.

- Do a get info on the file created (Command+I) and change the

'Open With' application to Acrobat Reader

The quality is excellent - the linework is crisp and the colour translation is good.

The only drawback is it can only be done one sheet at a time.

(Elsewhere on the NNA site I have read that to use Batch printing you need to purchase Adobe Distiller for OS X so that you can select it as a Printer.)

hmm, well tried using .ps save option and there is a bug that only lets you use an 8.5x 11 paper size...

at least when i choose my 24"x36" paper size option it only saves as 8.5x 11....

also you need to open the .ps file in photoshop, then save PDF from there, or preview makes a mess of it anyway....

any ideas why the .ps save option will only save to 8.5x11?

jon.

Jon,

We use the .ps save option several times per day and then use Adobe Distiller to convert to .pdf (makes a much smaller file). Regardless of the method used to convert the .ps to .pdf, you'll need to have a printer selected that can actually print 24x36 in order to create the postscript file.

Additionally, you should try setting Vectorworks (in the Print Dialog box) to 300dpi from its default 360. You'll be pleased to learn this one change will greatly improve the Print to PDF output. . .but it won't minimize file sizes as well as going the extra step through .ps

Good luck,

[ 08-17-2005, 03:55 PM: Message edited by: Travis ]

Jonkal

I am pretty sure Alan is right when he says a PLT file is a an AutoCAD plot file - some print shop printers will accept this directly which is probably why you have received the request.

You used to be able to produce an HPGL file with Macplot which could be used to print from - the file sizes are quite large though. You could try contacting MicroSpot to see if X-RIP or X-RIP 100 will do the same thing. Be aware though that they are not cheap!