Workgroup References

JohnS

We are working on an apartment project and would like to workgroup reference unit plans into an overall building plan. Unfortnately it seems that we can only workgroup reference the unit plan once. If we unlock it can copy it multiple times then when we open and close or update the workgroup reference we are left with only one copy of the new unit plan - Very frustrating.

As an old AutoCad user we could make multiple copies of xrefs which were then ALL automatic updated from the referenced files.

Any help on making multiple copies of a workgroup reference that are dynamic would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

Your best option would be to turn each unit plan type into a symbol and use these in your overall building plan.

Then when a particular unit's plan changes all you will need to do is reimport the symbol and choose Replace when asked the question.

This will then change all of the instances to the new unit plan, including dealing with any rotations or mirrors. It will be much quicker and simpler than what you are currently doing.

ArchiCAD has a 'module' philosophy that works similar to the AutoCAD method you mentioned, but it seems unlikely that VW will introduce this capability in the near future.

[ 02-18-2005, 09:10 AM: Message edited by: mike m oz ]

Robert,

The layer link option can get the job done, but any streamlining of this function would be greatly appreciated. We handle a fair amount of multifamily projects, and need to have unit plans show up in multiple places. It's time consuming to have to set up all the units into a building plan file, and we then have to set them up again in a sheet file.

I've never liked using the symbol option, because you loose the ability to separate out your data into different layers inside the symbol.

Mike,

Your right about the classes providing the functionality. I've tended to stay away from using classes too much, as a matter of keeping the complexity of drawing files to a reasonable level for multiple (often new to VW) users in our office. It comes down to the question of what's more work, setting up files with special class settings for the symbols, or alternate layer workarounds until their is something better on the referencing front.

I try to chime in anytime a see a question about expanding the power and capability of the workgroup referencing features. I have no idea the complexity of the software code required, but I do know the power and flexibilty referencing provides after spending years in the Microstation and Autocad worlds. I very happy to be back in the VW camp. A big part of that is VW's committment to improving and upgrading of their product, and their listening to user feedback.

Don't shy away from classes - they are one of the best and most powerful features of VW.

With new users I encourage them to think of them in terms of building elementds, and this is mostly how I use them. I do this because it is easier to grasp the concept and you can use them to your advantage in terms of graphic attributes (making material or appearance changes easier) and data returns.

I agree that AutoCAD's and Microstation's approach to referencing does have some advantages. Personally I prefer the ArchiCAD module concept and would love to see something similar in VW. At the same time I am sure that the NNA people are conscious of this need for improvement and at some stage we will see some.