Tagging unique windows in plan that has been made as symbol.

Rizzie

I am new to vectorwork and  hoping someone can help me with the following :

I am working on a multi-unit (multi residential) development in Vectorworks.

I created several templates floorplans for different types of units and made them as symbols so that I can easily change the layout when required and all the same unit type will all change accordingly.

The template contain doors and windows I want to tag and I would like to have them tagged uniquely using the following convention

Lxx.Uyy.Dzz where xx Floor 01, 02 etc , yy = unit number (eg. Unit 01 , Unit 02 etc. , zz Door type etc D01 , D02 etc)

Can you please advise how can achieve the above tagging? I have seen/used this in Revit and hoping that I can develop something similar without too much trouble. Is there a way that in the symbol when I tag say the door ID it know that particular door is for eg unit 01 on level 1. Or anyone have done multistory apartment block and have a workflow that works to achieve the above idea. 

Thanks in advance. 

Rizz 

Something inside a symbol can be tagged, but once inside a symbol, it is repeated as part of the symbol, and cannot have a unique tag within each symbol placed.  That's how symbols work.  They are a repeating assembly of elements and objects.  Change one symbol, changes all.

This means you have to adopt a different method for tagging them.

The door itself can be tagged 'D01'.

It might be inside Unit 'U1'

It might be on floor '01'.

All this information can be extracted from the model, and scheduled, but not shown on the model.  Question is whether that matters.

If the schedule shows the floor, the unit, and the door number, the schedule can concatenate the three to

01-U1-D01

quite easily.

The tag simply shows 'D01'.

If the door is modelled uniquely on each floor, then it can be given a tag showing all three fields, although I would suggest it's isn't that difficult to determine that 'D01', in flat 'U1', on the drawing of the ground floor = '01-U1-D01'.

Edited by shorter
  • Like 1

Alternatively, add a tag manually, overlaid on the door, unlinked to the door itself.  This can be a simple symbol with a record format, linked to a schedule in VW, or linked via a schedule in VW to a schedule in Excel.  It depends if you need the data in the door to update the schedule or not.  It's not that much work to do it manually but some don't consider that to be 'BIM'...

• Like 1
9 hours ago, shorter said:

Alternatively, add a tag manually, overlaid on the door, unlinked to the door itself.  This can be a simple symbol with a record format, linked to a schedule in VW, or linked via a schedule in VW to a schedule in Excel.  It depends if you need the data in the door to update the schedule or not.  It's not that much work to do it manually but some don't consider that to be 'BIM'...

Yes I guess doing the manual thing is less tedious than trying to change the floor plan constantly for multiple units of the same type. 

One ‘benefit’ the manual approach has is that doors that have been omitted can still be recognised by the schedule as having been omitted. The door is deleted but the tag is simply ‘retired’ to a ‘value engineering’ class.

this is not possible in BIM because the tag is attached to the door. Delete the door and the tag is made redundant.

Oftentimes vw users want to deploy the same methods they used in other software. That way of working was probably developed because it suited the way the other software worked -but may not suit vw. The challenge for you, being a new user, may be to figure out the best way for you to convey this sort of info in vw.

I also do multi unit/floor developments with a lot of repetition of doors. As you do, I have symbols for the unit types. For the doors however I simply give all doors which are identical the same number. No floor or room info needs to be in the label as this is evident from the drawing title and unit label.

In this way of working, with lots of repetition the schedule worksheet only needs to identify the different types of doors and how many of each type there are. So a hypothetical six storey hotel development that might have 12 units per floor with 4 unit types and say 3 doors per unit. I.e. 216 individual doors would only have 12 or less different types of doors that need scheduling. The inclusion of a “count” column in the schedule worksheet is all that’s needed to show the number of each door type.

This is the way I figured out how to schedule doors in mult unit developments. Others will have figured out other, probably better ways that work for them.

• Like 1

Often we don’t have a choice over how a door tag should look on a drawing because it is defined by the client.

when I look back at the various ways doors are tagged there isn’t a huge variation but there are some notable variants.

there is also the expectation in the industry of what a door schedule is.

how about issuing a COBie spreadsheet as the schedule and tell them it’s industry ‘standard’.