VW Viewer Disaster

SANTA FE

I'm a VW Architect Newbie. I copied an .mcd file from my win98 machine at home to a sandisc mini cruzer (chip/disk) for plotting thru the VW viewer at my office. When I opened the file at work the VW viewer, questioning fonts, rewrote the file with different classes and layers than I had edited in. Millwork was deleted. Building sections were deleted. On return to my home machine I realized I hadn't copied the file to the mini disk at all, I'd transferred it and the altered classes and layers are all I'm left with!!!

1. Has anyone had this problem with the viewer?

2. Can you suggest a way to recover the lost

layers and classes?

Thanks,

Conrad Skinner

The viewer should open the file exactly as it was in VW, since it is the same application with menus grayed out.

The only difference would be fonts, as you suggest.

VW pulls fonts installed on each individual computer. If you open a VW file, in the viewer or another real version of VW, text using a font that is not installed on a computer will be substituted upon opening the file.

The classes and layers should all be there though.

If you would like to email the file to me for review, I can take a look into the problem.

katie@nemetschek.net

• 2 weeks later...

...and besides, the Viewer can't save.

So there's no way that the file on the mini-disk was damaged by the Viewer.

The part about the fonts is true of any program, except for a few which offer an option to embed fonts. Whenever you move a document to another machine, or send a copy to someone, you have to bring along any fonts that are used in it.