Creating Site Models

Rodger

I have created a site model using the grid entry tool. When I create an updated version of the model, the old version is always referenced when changes in the settings/options menu are made. I have deleted the "Existing" and "Proposed" DTM's from the resources palette but the old DTM is created when I update the model.

Also, is it possible to have and object line visible in a hidden line rendering at the points where the structure intersects the terrain?

Rodger, if you are saying that you want to start all over again, I have had difficulty with this, as well. I assume that when you say "deleted the existing site model" you mean that you have used the "delete" command in the sitework menu - or maybe you mean that you have deleted the symbol that was created for that model. In either case, VW still has remnants of that original model - a class instance of some kind still exists, maybe - and you will have trouble starting from scratch.

The "proposed" site model is created to allow the program to calculate cut and fill comparisons with the "existing" model.

I think the "delete" command does not do the job it should, and that a programmer should look into making sure that all vestiges of a terrain model are wiped out so that we can start over again. Or better yet, allow more than one or two terrain models to be created, under different names.

The workaround is to copy your layers, except for anything having to do with DTM, into a new file. That file will then contain no reference to a DTM, and you can start fresh.

On the other hand, if you say that you are having trouble creating the "proposed" model by making modifications to the "existing," then I suggest that you carefully follow the manual's instructions. It's a little non-intuitive, but it will work.

[ 08-25-2003, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: P Retondo ]