VWA 10.1 ? QUESTIONS.

VWA 10.1 ? BUG LIST & QUESTIONS.

1. WHERE CAN THE VWA DEFAULT CLASS ATTRIBUTES SUCH AS LINE STYLE PEN COLOR & FILL HATCHES ETC. BE CHANGED? AT SETUP OF A PROJECT. SO WHEN YOU USE THE CREATE SHEETS, THE CLASSES ARE THE WAY YOU WANT THEM

2. WHY OR WHERE IS THE FILE ?AEC Layers & Classes?? I CANNOT CREATE A NEW (VW Arch) CLASS OR LAYER WITHOUT IT.

3. HAPPY THAT ARCHED DOORS & WINDOW CAN BE EDITED AFTER CREATING A SYMBOL.

4. CREATE SHEETS PREF. ? HAS NO 1?-10? SCALE (SITE PLANS).

5. EDIT TEXT HAS A BUG. THE RULER TURNS GREY & TAB MARKS APPEARS IN THE RULER.

6. WHY DOES THE TEXT SIZE KEEP CHANGING BACK TO (3 POINT) SOMETIMES DURING WORKING AND EVERY TIME VW IS OPENED?

7. ALSO THE PEN THICKNESS CHANGES TO INCHES INSTEAD OF mm

8. OPENED AN EXISTING VWA9 FILE. RUN THE (ORG./SCRIPTS/CRE. PLUGIN) MENU. IF I COPY OR EDIT THE PLUG-IN MARKERS THE FONT CHANGES TO (WINGDINDS) OR FONT WITH SYMBOLS.

9. HOW DO CAN I ADD MULLINS OR AWNING WINDOW TO THE SIDE LITE ON THE DOOR PLUG-IN?

9: I convert the PIO to a symbol, and edit the 3D portion of that symbol to add window sticking. The advantage of this method is that every location which has that window symbol gets the muntin system, and it goes wherever the window is moved.

PIO's per se don't have the ability to create this kind of feature, as far as I know, except that you can create a transom - not the same thing.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I'll try to address the issues that haven't already been addressed:

1. Class graphic settings can be set using the Standard Naming command.

2. This file should be in the "Standards" folder in your VW folder.

4. Please submit this as a bug to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net

5. This isn't a bug! Tabbed text is a feature!

6,7. Please submit these as bugs to bugsubmit@nemetschek.net It will be helpful if you can provide a repeatable sequence of events that will cause this to happen.

8. A number of VWA plug-ins have "direct text attributes" for version 10. This means that you simply select the object and give it the text size, style, font, etc. that you want from the attributes in the Text menu. Is this what you are talking about?

Hi Robert,

1. How do you make changes like add hatches.

2. This File ?AEC Layers & Classes? doesn't come with VWA10 or VWA9. I had to bring it in from VWA8. Without it you can not add layers like "Mod-Floor" or classes "Wall-Ext-Frame".

Also the wall join and walls are a lot harder to deal with. Trying to join a corner wall and one of the walls loses one side and also goes off the sheet.

But the worst thing about the new wall join is the cross join, it breaks the walls at the joints?

• 3 weeks later...

HI KATIE,

ARE YOU THERE??

I FEEL LIKE I'M TALKING TO MYSELF. CAN YOU REPLY TO THESE QUESTIONS ABOVE?

ARE THEY BUGS OR IS IT JUST ME?

I USE THE "NUMBER STAMP TOOL" TO MARK MY DOORS AND WINDOWS BECAUSE MOST OF THE TIME I GET GHOST DOORS AND WINDOWS. IT TAKES A LONG TIME TO FIND THE UNWANTED SYMBOLS.

MY NEW PROBLEM IS THE "NUMBER STAMP TOOL" PUTS THE ID NUMBERS ON THE 2ND LINES IE. D- OR D-10

1 1

WHAT'S THE PROBLEM [Confused]

Please keep in mind, I am not always here and that I do have to man the phones and do email as a priority over this message board. I am not even required to attend to this board. I do it because I like to help.

If you need help with an issue immediately, you should contact us by email or phone. EIther myself or one of the other gentlemen in the dept can assist you with your problem(s).

As for the number stamp issue - either make your text size smaller or make the shape for the Number Stamp larger.

You can get it all in a row IF you use a smaller text size or a larger shape or both.

Why aren't you using the ID tool for your doors and windows?

"1. How do you make changes like add hatches."

Do you need to know how to add hatches to your resource browser?

You add a hatch resoruce file just like any other library file. The hatches are in the Resources file in the VW folder.

Please refer to the user's guide for more information on adding files to the resource browser.

2. This File ?AEC Layers & Classes? doesn't come with VWA10 or VWA9. I had to bring it in from VWA8. Without it you can not add layers like "Mod-Floor" or classes "Wall-Ext-Frame".

I'm not sure what this is referring to.

If you use the Setup commands under the File menu, you should have these layers already created for you. You can edit the names of these layers and classes by going to Setup>Standard Naming.

The architect manual has more information about the Setup commands.

You should not have to, nor should you bring in resource files and/or plugin files from VW 8 to VW 10. Doing so can cause problems using certain commands and/or tools in VW 10.

Trying to join a corner wall and one of the walls loses one side and also goes off the sheet.

Wall joins should work the same as they did in previous versions.

Are you using VW 10.1.2?

"the worst thing about the new wall join is the cross join, it breaks the walls at the joints?"

Well one of the walls has to be broken. You can't physically have two walls occupying the same space in reality.

EIther one wall goes continually and you have two t joins, or both walls are broken into two pieces and are butted next to each other at an intersection point.

I'm not sure what you are looking for ..

"Also when I move a wall the ajoining walls loses the door symbols"

This should only happen if the doors are not IN the wall.

If you click on a door and it reads "Door" rather than "Door in Wall" in the Obj Info Palette, the door is not IN the wall.

To place a door or window in a wall, you need to make sure you get the OBJECT cursor cue when you click the first time on placement of the door or window.

If you get Point or not cursor cue, the door is not going in the wall and it cannot break the wall.

I HAVE BEEN WORKING WITH MINCAD / VWA10 SINCE 1995 AND HAVE RECOMMENDED IT TO OVER 12 USERS WHO HAVE PURCHASED IT.

SO I THINK I KNOW HOW TO INSERT A DOOR INTO A WALL.

OK,

SORRY KATIE BUT YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE I SEE WHO TRY TO HELP AND REGULARLY ANSWER TO THESE POST!

"1. How do you make changes like add hatches." (TO Setup>Standard Naming.)

AT THE Setup>Standard Naming. BOX THERE ARE A FEW PROBLEMS OR LIMITATIONS.

A.- LINE THICKNESS UNITS ARE (Mils.) HOW CAN I CHANGE THE UNITS TO (mm)?

B.- COLORS! USES A DIFFERENT COLOR PALETTE THAN THE ATTRIBUTES PALETTE. WHY?

C.- THE ATTRIBUTES PALETTE AND ORGANIZE>CLASSES ALLOWS YOU TO MAKE CHANGES TO YOUR FILL AND PEN TO (NONE, SOLID, PATTERN, HATCHES, GRADIENT, IMAGE.) HOW CAN I NOT SET THE HATCHES TO CLASSES FROM THE "Setup>Standard Naming".

2. This File ?AEC Layers & Classes? doesn't come with VWA10 or VWA9. I had to bring it in from VWA8. Without it you cannot add layers like "Mod-Floor" or classes "Wall-Ext-Frame".

FROM VWA9 OR 10 WITHOUT ?AEC Layers & Classes.sta? FILE, ADD A "NEW" CLASS OR LAYER. CAN YOU ADD A NEW CLASS OR LAYER NAMED "Mod-Floor-# OR Area-Main" FROM "SELECT FROM STANDARD"?

THIS FILE IS IMPORTANT IF YOU WANT TO ADD A NEW AEC LAYER OR CLASS. THIS IS A STANDARDS FILE THAT HAS BEEN FORGOTTEN.

"the worst thing about the new wall join is the cross join, it breaks the walls at the joints?"

THE PROBLEM WITH THIS IS CHANGES. IF I HAVE TO MOVE THE WALL, IT'S ALL BROKEN. WHY WAS THIS CHANGED FROM VWA9 AND BEYOND? "IF IT'S NOT BROKEN DON'T FIX IT" I CAN'T BELIEVE THAT THIS IS AN IMPROVEMENT.

"Also when I move a wall the ajoining walls loses the door symbols"

This should only happen if the doors are not IN the wall.

I DON'T SEE WHY THIS WOULD HAPPEN? IF A SYMBOL IS NOT IN A WALL, WHY SHOULD MOVING THE WALL AFFECT THE SYMBOL? NO THIS HAPPENS WHEN THE WALLS A JOINED TOGETHER, WHICH THEY SHOULD BE. I HAVE TO USE THE REMOVE WALL BREAKS TOOL, MOVE THE WALL THEN JOIN THE WALLS BACK.

I HAVE AN IDEA FOR VWA10.5 OR 11!! STOP GIVE US NEW FEATURES, FIX AND IMPROVE EXISTING TOOLS & MENUS.

Chris,

1. Your choice to use ALL CAPS makes you (perhaps inadvertently) seem like you are shouting. I respectfully suggest you change to normal casing; nobody like to feel like they are being shouted at.

2. Katie, trouper that she is, is not the only one responding to you. I have responded. Look above.

3. Exactly what version of VW10 are you using? There are some wall regeneration issues that have been fixed in upgrades. And are you using the Connected Walls mode?

4. As to your questions, I'm a little confused, because on one hand you are asking about a VWA setup feature (Standard Naming) and on the other hand you are asking for a template file ("AEC Layers and Classes") that is NOT REQUIRED by the setup commands. So are you using setup or not?

5. You should submit your wishes for the setup command (line weights in MM, support for standard hatches, color palette display) to: bugsubmit@nemetschek.net

6. In addition to new features that the marketplace requires, we at NNA are constantly working on improving quality. It's a gross simplification to imagine that the proposition is "either/or".

"ARCHITECTS" WORK IN CAPS AND WRITE IN CAPS [Cool]

AND WE DO NOT SHOUT AT ANYONE, BUT BUILDERS.

YES "ROBERT" YOU DO RESPOND TO POST BUT DON'T BE JEALOUS, KATIE IS A LADY, WHERE I COME FROM LADIES LIKE COMPLIMENTS [Wink]

3. Exactly what version of VW10 are you using? There are some wall regeneration issues that have been fixed in upgrades. And are you using the Connected Walls mode?

I AM USING VWA10.1

I USE THE SETUP TO START MY PROJECT ? (SETUP THE MODEL, LAYERS AND SHEETS) IT IS VERY USEFUL.

NOW THAT THE FILE HAS ALL THE SHEETS, LAYERS AND CLASSES YOU NEED. NOW YOU WANT TO ADD A "NEW" CLASS OR LAYER. CAN YOU ADD A NEW CLASS OR LAYER NAMED "Mod-Floor-# OR Area-Main" FROM ?menu ORGANIZE > CLASS OR LAYER? "SELECT FROM STANDARD"?

HOW DO YOU ADD THESE LAYERS OR CLASSES?

I DID NOT UPDATE TO VWA10.1.2 BECAUSE I NEED TO FINISH A PROJECT AND DO NOT HAVE THE TIME TO CHECK IF IT WORKS RIGHT.

I WAS TRYING TO SAY THAT SOME OF THE NEW FEATURES ARE GREAT, BUT SOME OF THE CHANGES ARE NOT BETTER THAN THE OLD WAY.

FOR EXAMPLE THE WALL JOIN CROSS TOOL. WHERE THE NEW TOOL CUTS THE WALL SO IF YOU NEED TO MOVE THE WALL, YOU WOULD HAVE TO SELECT ALL THE WALLS.

To make a template file that has all the classes and layers in it you can setup a project using the Create Standard Sheets command and make one of every kind of sheet. Then save the file as "MyStandards.MCD" or somesuch and put it in your Templates folder. Then it will show up (i.e. you can select it) when you need a new class or layer.

BEFORE I GO SET UP A TEMPLATE FILE OF EVERY SHEET. WHICH IS NOT WHAT WE A TALKING ABOUT. WE ARE TALKING ABOUT LAYERS & CLASSES NOT SHEETS.

DO YOU AGREE WITH ME THAT THIS "AEC" FILE SHOULD BE THERE? IT WAS IN VWA 8 AND WAS TAKEN OUT IN VWA9 & 10

WOULDN'T IT BE EASIER TO PUT BACK THE "AEC LAYERS & CLASSES.sta" FILE INTO THE STANDARDS FOLDER, ALONG WITH THE AIA STANDARDS. IT HAS ALL THE AEC LAYERS & CLASSES. THE AEC FILE HAS TO BE IN THE STANDARDS FOLDER TO SHOW UP IN THE "SELECT STANDARD NAMING" DROP MENU WHEN CREATING A NEW LAYER OR CLASS.

I COULD SEND YOU THE FILE.

Don't make a template file of each sheet, make ONE template file with an example of ALL sheets. This will have your layers and classes in it, because creating a sheet creates the layers and classes in it. And you're right, it should be in the "standards" folder, not the "templates" folder.