really basic question

zero

Ok, so I create 2 layers;

Layer-1 has Z_ of 0

Layer-2 has z_ 0f -2800

Then I draw a wall on layer-1, and the bottom z in the OIP shows 0.

I switch to layer-2, and draw another wall, and the bottom z in the OIP shows 0.

Why does the bottom z of the wall on layer-2 not show -2800?

I create a layer link on layer-2, to/of layer-1, and switch to a side view. I expect to see the wall on Layer-1 "on top" of the wall on layer-2. But in fact they are both "sitting" on 0. Why is this?

Thanks people!

If you want to see the two layers stacked properly, you need to create a new, empty layer, and layer link both layer-1 and layer-2 to the new layer. The z in the layer definition seems to be where the layer will show relative to the z of the layer in which it is linked. I'm afraid that sounds confusing, but if you mess around with layer links, I think you'll see what I'm trying to get at.

Zero,

I will try to give you a brief overview of Layer Linking to create a model of a multi-story building.

1) Create a layer for each story of the building. For example "Main Floor", "2nd Floor", etc. Each of these layers must have its "Z" & "Delta Z" set to the correct values. For your main floor: set the "Z" to equal 0 and the "Delta Z" to equal 8' (or whatever your wall height will be). For your 2nd floor set the "Z" to equal 8' (or wherever your last walls ended) and your "Delta Z" to equal 8' (or whatever the 2nd story walls are).

2) Draw walls in each layer. If you are using wall styles, make sure that your wall has been set to "use layer delta Z".

3) Now create a third, blank layer. You can set the Z at 0 and the delta Z to whatever the total building height is (but it isn't essential).

4) With the new layer as the active layer, and with Layer Options set to "Active Only", go to "Create Layer Link". A dialog will open. Select the layers you wish to be in your linked layer, in this case the Main & 2nd Stories. Click OK.

5) Now you should have a model of your building. Of course, this particular model has ignored the floor framing or slab which should be in between your stories, and the roof which ought be above the 2nd story, but I think this will help you get the idea.

Peter Cipes

Mac OS 10.2.4/VWA 10.1