Door ID & Schedule Irritations

gnkarch

I have been a VW user since 8.5.2. (Prior to that I drew by hand) Although I like the program in general a few things have gotten under my skin:

In 8.5.2. I was able to change the size of the door ID labels, this was especially helpful when drawing 1/8" plans. Since version 9 I have been unable to change the default size of the label - even tried to change the symbol in the labels file - no luck. And now in Version 10, not only is the label ridiculously large, but contains a bizarre font - I have no idea what it is, and I can't seem to chnage it - it makes my drawings look more like cartoons than CD's.

Room Finish Schedule & Room Name Tool: in version 10 there is no option for room name & data to appear on schedule or not - why not? And room name & number does not automatically appear on schedule when created, it used to. That information has to be entered in data fields manually - a major time waster on large projects.

It appears that regards to the above 2 items the program has gotten worse rather than improve!

P4 2.2 Ghz

512 RAM

Windows XP

gnkarch

You can change the size of the symbols drawn with the ID tool.

There is a file called ID Symbols.mcd in VectorWorks 10.x\Plug-Ins\Common\Data

Open this file and make changes to the specific symbols. Then run the Update ID Prets.txt script in the Scripts palette.

Save this file.

This change will only happen on new files.

The font used is the default font.

You can also change the font in the edit symbol scren.

To change an ID symbol in an existing drawing, go to the Resource palette and select the two corresponding ID symbols. Edit the 2d portion of the symbol to change the shape or size. For most of the ID symbols, there is the symbol itself and a unique ID symbol. Make sure you make changes in BOTH symbols.

[ 02-13-2003, 09:49 AM: Message edited by: Katie ]

Katie:

Thank you for your reply. I edited the door ID symbol via the Resource Pallette to what I wanted. As far as the Finish Schedule / Room Name ID are concerned, I had read the info in the Manual prior to my initial post. What I was looking for wasn't there. When you insert a door into a drawing for example, in the Obj Info pallette under the Shape tab there is an option to check to have door/symbol On Schedule or not. That option was available for the Room Name tool in previous versions - it is not available in V10. What happened to it?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The Room Name Simple plug-in (which is in the workspace) is a simple room name label and doesn't support room finish records.

The Room Name plug-in is still installed by the VWA installer, you can use the Workspace editor to add it to your workspace, and it works just the same as in previous versions.

It's not been put in to the Architectg workspace, because we're de-emphasizing it in favor of a better way to do the same thing: the Space object. The Space object is better (among other reasons) because it can measure true areas and perimeters of spaces. The Space object also supports the On Schedule functionality.

Robert:

Thank you for your reply. I have edited the workspace to add the Room Name plug-in. No one asked my opinion when producing VW10, but I have no use for the Space Object. It doesn't suit the way I design, or produce Construction Documents. But I'm old school, what do I know!