I have some problems, Actually ...many

BAD

Maybe its just me, But i have been trying to find a find a way to convert 3d models or copies (say of second floor plan) so that I can put it on the same sheet as first floor plan with out offsettinbg the plans... which of course screws up the elevations. I try to do a convert copies to polygons and have also tried convert copy to lines. Both give you the same 3d model only they now have their own problems... this sucks. I really want to convert a copy to a 2d representation so that it does not screw up my elevations. Also, the roof generator is lacking at best. many limitations there. How do you combine roof's? As much as I hate Autodesk architectural desktop, it does seem to work better. When are there going to be some updates so we dont have to Buy the next version for a while in order to see any improvements.?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi, BAD. The first issue (that of placing plans side-by-side on a sheet without moving tbem in the model) is fixed with "Layer links". You'll have to read up on layer links in the main VectorWorks reference manual. Basically, what you do is make a layer link (which is a moveable object that is a reference to the contents of a layer) of your second floor plan. You can make this LL on any layer except the second floor layer itself (which makes sense if you think about it a little bit). When you make the LL, make sure to enable the "Draw 2D Objects" checkbox.

Your LL is a complete linked duplicate of your 2nd floor plan and can be unlocked, moved about and / or rotated as you wish.

As to your second question, there isn't a "combine roofs" command right now; the easiest way to do this is if you created the roofs in question from polygons. Use the Add Surface command to combine the polygons and make a roof from it.

Above all, be patient, and remember that all software programs usually have comparable ways to do things, some do particular things better than others, and each has its strength. You've already done the right thing by consulting this forum. The mailserve is helpful also.