Ross McLee

Text editor - CTRL/CMD + ENTER to complete

Question

Posted (edited)

Hi,

A simple feature request please (from a former AutoCAD user).

I believe there is lots in the pipeline for text editor functionality. One niggle I struggle with is pressing ESC to complete entering your text. It is just not sensible. Escape should mean cancel what I was doing and go back a step.

https://app-help.vectorworks.net/2018/eng/VW2018_Guide/Text/Creating_a_Line_of_Text.htm#XREF_79678_Creating_a_Line_of

ACAD uses CRTL+Enter text, but it can also be used elsewhere when you want to execute a command/dialogue box after entering the text string value. Email applications use Ctrl+Enter as SEND (e.g. Outlook).

Thanks,

Ross

Edit: LOL ... (AND PRESSING CTRL+ENTER on this forum page, submits my question too!!!)

Edited by Ross McLee

3 answers to this question

On the Mac there is Function + Enter which exits the Text Block without ending the Text Tool. It can also be used to Exit out of dialogs which in the case of the Callout dialogs is extremely useful. I don't know what the equivalent is on PC though. Alt?

• Like 1

Thanks for the prompt reply @markdd.

Just tried it on Windows. Nope. ALT+, CTRL+ and just ENTER on its own insert a line break. ESC is the way to 'enter'.

I know in Excel you can press ALT+ Enter to add new lines in a cell without completing the input.